Location and Job Title:
Chief Program Officer
Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center
5601 S. Braeswood
Houston, TX 77096
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Program Officer of the Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center of Houston is a new position which has the primary responsibility for leading and providing on-going development and supervision of many of the Department Directors whose programs are critical to the Js mission.
In this critical and exciting position, the CPO is responsible for providing strong visionary, creative and thoughtful leadership to many programming areas of the J and for driving the function of collaboration, creativity and innovation throughout the agency and serve as a Jewish thought leader voice.
Through this work, the CPO is responsible for working with many of the Department Director professionals to develop and implement clear action plans and systems needed to build and develop strong programs. As a member of the Executive Leadership team, the CPO is also charged with working cross collaboratively with other members of the Executive Leadership team, and with lay leadership, the Board of Trustees and staff to make sure that all the programs under their purview work seamlessly within the larger J ecosystem.
This search is being conducted by DRG Search.
- Work with the CEO to ensure implementation and translation of the J's overall mission and vision into programs.
- Supervision of many of the Department Directors at the J. Responsibility for bringing them together, for developing a culture of collaboration, innovation and creativity.
- Advise the CEO, board, and professional staff on relevant national and local trends and research that will help the J to advance the programming offerings.
- Work in partnership with the CEO and Executive Leadership team to help develop a strong and robust internal culture and climate for all J employees.
- Manage and supervise the day-to-day work of many of the Department Directors through the development of a strong team model which will inspire them through skills building, coaching, and development in order to help them to meet or exceed expectations.
- Help to grow and strengthen the program portfolio of many of the Department Directors, in order to guide the strategy and decision making for the direction and management of the J.
- Strengthen intra-J communication and work collaboratively with Executive Leadership team to integrate cross program activities and functions.
- In conjunction with the CEO and the CFO, coordinate and oversee inter-department budgeting processes across program departments.
- Develop and monitor ongoing program metrics and analytics.
- Maintain an on-going understanding of the demographics of the Houston community in order to help shape and understand opportunity for meeting the needs of the market.
- In conjunction with the CEO and the Department Directors, develop and innovate around new or more impactful areas of revenue tracking and generation.
- In conjunction with the CEO and the CFO, advise the Board and Budget Committee in the fiscal planning for the J relative to program services.
- Provide leadership in creating program partnerships and collaborations with partners within and outside of the Jewish community.
- Lead and participate in program evaluation and seek opportunities that will result in the development and implementation of new and innovative programs.
- Exceptional leadership, management, supervision and motivational skills.
- Ability and desire to be innovative around all areas of programming, operations, and staff supervision and growth.
- Experience in leading a large, complex, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Ability to be proactive and creative in overcoming obstacles and resource constraints.
- Understanding of and expertise in the areas of service delivery, program/services creation, sales, business development, customer centric operations, collaborative initiatives, and fiscal management.
- Strong communication, administration and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to act decisively and expeditiously to implement plans.
- Ability to self-motivate, take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to relate to multiple constituencies including the CEO, Board of Directors, staff, members, community leaders and volunteers.
- Proficiency to work collaboratively with other members of the senior management team of the organization.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Jewish community and Jewish customs and celebrations.
This position description is based upon material provided by the Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center of Houston, an equal opportunity employer.
Opportunity for Impact
The mission of the Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center of Houston is to develop and strengthen Jewish identity, foster Jewish values and enrich the Jewish community and the greater community.
Established in 1936, the Evelyn Rubinstein Jewish Community Center (the J), has enabled families and individuals to come together for friendship, affiliation and socialization in a safe and welcoming environment. With an operating budget of $17 Million the J has been serving the Greater Houston Jewish and secular communities through a wide-array of year-round programs, arts and culture, and well-equipped fitness facilities.
The cultural highlight is the annual Jewish Book and Arts Festival, which attracts up to 5,000 people. Collaborative partnerships with the Jewish Federation of Greater Houston, United Way of Greater Houston, Jewish Family Service, Seven Acres, congregations, theatres, universities and other businesses and organizations in the Greater Houston community facilitate the Js multitude of programs and services. Included are cultural events, such as lectures in conjunction with Rice Universitys Jewish studies program, a Jewish film festival, theater and an Israeli dance workshop.
The J is committed to enriching the lives of its members and its community of different ages, lifestyles, ethnicities and levels of religious observance. From broad offerings in Early Childhood, Teen, Family Engagement, and Adult Education Programming; Adult Wellness; Arts & Culture; Senior Services to a kosher caf?, the J is the center of Jewish life and experiences in Houston.
The J is in the midst of a $50 million major capital campaign to renovate its main campus that will include 125,000 square feet of new program space, new aquatics center and new multi-purpose program space.