Location and Job Title:
Chief Executive Officer
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
Bender JCC is looking for a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead the organization through its next chapter of growth.
The Board of Directors seeks a strategic and visionary leader with a passion for Jewish life and whose knowledge, communication and executive leadership skills will stimulate creativity and innovation in programs and services both in development and delivery, as well as maintain standards of excellence in how services are implemented and funded. The CEO will be a visible organizational and communal leader, not only within the JCC but also throughout both the Jewish and general community.
In collaboration with the Board, the CEO is responsible for determining the future direction of the organization as part of a strategic planning process based on currently defined strategic objectives.The first task will be developing and implementing a post Covid-19 strategy that includes reopening the JCC to the public, a reexamination of fundraising priorities and a road map for financial sustainability and building for the future.
Implementation of and getting buy in for the plan from employees, board and community will be critical to the future success of the organization.Building the JCC brand, a strong senior staff team, growing member loyalty and building visibility of the full range of activities offered is also a top priority.
Strategic vision and leadership
- Lead and execute the strategic, operational and creative direction of the Center. Working with the Board and staff, articulate and develop strategic plans and initiatives.
- Refine, articulate and implement a shared vision and programs that reflect the unique mission of the JCC and its potential impact in the Jewish community and the community at large. Maintain a focus on proactive planning that will identify and take advantage of, or respond to, emerging trends and needs.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to the senior team and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization; establish effective and transparent decision-making processes that will enable Bender JCC to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives.
- Lead and participate in strategies to expand the use of JCC facilities as well as strategies for outreach and community-building beyond the walls of the JCC facility.
- Lead the JCC staff and community through a post-Covid transition back to the building and beyond with transparency and positivity.
Executive Management and Talent Development
- Lead, motivate, supervise and evaluate a high-performance senior management team.Attract, hire, retain and promote qualified professionals, developing the ability to delegate and distribute responsibility.
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization.
- Create and promote a positive, multicultural work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization's strategy, operational methods, and data collection needs.
- Set and advance a positive, success-oriented and collaborative culture within the organization.
- Ensure that the JCCs vision, values, brand, and strategic priorities are evident and consistent in every aspect of the organization, including its staff and programs.
Resource Development and Fundraising
- Work closely with the Board leadership and development staff to raise necessary funds for enabling the JCC to meet the current and anticipated future needs of the community, its members and customers.
- Play a leadership role in fundraising efforts including participation in events, cultivation of current and prospective donors, and solicitations.
- Develop new funding opportunities to support existing and new initiatives and programs.
- Responsible for determining and meeting financial goals, annual budgets and metrics.
- Responsible for the overall operational performance of the Center and for ensuring that revenues and expenditures are consistent with the budget approved by the Board.
- With the CFO, and senior management team, ensure strong fiscal management, systems and accurate reporting for the agency.
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short range financial plans, monitoring the budget and ensuring sound financial controls are in place.
- Set financial priorities to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff.
- Lead staff in assessing and revising goals pertaining to program creativity and excellence.Maintain a focus on proactive planning that will identify and take advantage of, or respond to, emerging trends and needs.
- Ensure that programs are aligned with the JCCs mission and community priorities.
- Work with staff to monitor program costs and effectiveness. Institute consistent methods of program evaluation that are appropriate to the mission of each activity.
- Together with the Board Chair, serve as a key spokesperson of the JCCs vision, values, programs, challenges and achievements.Represent the organization throughout the Jewish community and the community at large, with private and public funders and national and international Jewish organizations.
- Continue and improve the constructive relationship with the leadership of the Jewish Federation, Jewish and secular nonprofit organizations in the area.
- Cultivate opportunities for collaboration with relevant entities.
- Strong leadership skills including: ability to articulate an inspiring organizational vision; manage the agency from a big picture perspective; lead and foster inclusive participation in the decision-making process; and employ strategic and critical thinking skills proactively.
- Senior executive experience in the nonprofit and/or business sector with a record of progressive achievement in organization leadership, management, administration and financial operations and fundraising.
- Experience managing a budget that includes numerous profit and loss centers, a large facility and around 100 employees.
- Ability to balance and integrate the core values of a nonprofit mission-based agency with the use of business models and tools.
- Excellent interpersonal, communications and diplomatic skills; ability to partner with professional and volunteer leaders and communicate in a manner that garners trust and inspires volunteer leadership and professionals.
- Financial savvy and political acumen; the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making.
- An open, flexible and inspiring leadership and management style conducive to fostering creativity, collaboration, growth and problem solving.
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- Successful track record of fundraising, stewarding relationships with funders, board members, and foundations.
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders and organizations.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser.
- A passion for issues affecting Jewish communities and Israel.Commitment to enhancing Jewish life and culture. Pluralistic non-judgmental view and comfort with all sects of Judaism.
This position description is based upon material provided by Bender JCC, an equal opportunity employer.
This search is being conducted by DRG Search.
About Bender JCC
For over 100 years, the Bender JCC of Greater Washington has been committed to a single mission: promoting and creating Jewish continuity, identity and community in an atmosphere of warmth and meaning.
The Bender JCC plays a vital role in many of its members lives. Since 1913, the JCC has worked hard to create a warm, inclusive neighborhood within its walls, where Jewish life and values are celebrated and all are welcome to make new friends, shmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more. The facility boasts a 40,000 square foot Health and Fitness Center, and approximately 35,000 individuals, from the very young to the young at heart, are enriched by attending JCC classes or programs each year.
Diverse and vibrant, the Bender JCC community and Bender JCC membership is open to everyone of all religions, backgrounds, and walks of life, with comprehensive programs, facilities, and services that offer a natural gateway to Jewish life.
The Bender JCC is an active member of the JCC Association, a network of more than 200 JCCs across North America, has received numerous awards for its innovative programming, and is nationally recognized for inclusionary programming for children, teens, and adults with special needs, including the award-winning Camp JCC.