Location and Job Title:
Director of the Center for Adults Living Well @ the Y
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
Does leading an Innovative Senior Center that provides a wide range of holistic programs to help seniors age well excite you?
Join a diverse community of professionals who are passionate about caring for the aging members of our community. This is your opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the elderly, while growing in your career and engaging in meaningful work!
The Center for Adults Living Well @ the Y (CALW)
, funded by the NYC Department for the Aging (DFTA) is looking for an experienced professional in the field of geriatrics to keep the Senior Center's day-to-day operations vibrant and humming and home delivered meals service.
Exciting roles await you when you join the Y's dynamic, thriving and nurturing community center!
- You will be responsible for the center's budgeting and fiscal management, food service management, establishing and maintaining the center's standards, reporting to agency leaders and administration, and adherence to DFTA's guidelines
- Responsible for oversight of food service standards and DFTA guidelines related to preparation of meals sub-contracted by a DFTA Home Delivered Meals program including reviewing menus with food service management and preparing monthly invoice
- Act as liaison with Director of Home Delivered Meals program ensuring all DFTA policies and procedures are adhered to
- Development and implementation of the center's goals, policies, procedures, and programs
- Selection, supervision, and development of staff and volunteers
- Review and continuous development of newsletters, fliers, posters, and displays to promote interest in senior center programs
- Preparation of reports and grants, coordination of funding activities from private and public sources
Your typical day or week may include the following essential functions:
- Providing direct services to clients including crisis intervention, counseling and resolving member complaints
- Relationship-building with other community agencies to meet community needs and improve service delivery
- Overseeing the center's programs and activities, including outreach to the target population
- Meeting with Senior Center Advisory Council, and staff members to keep everyone updated on agency protocols and changes affecting client service
- Developing performance goals and development plans for staff; giving performance feedback and coaching as needed
- Providing administrative guidance to Food Service Manager and
staff to ensure compliance with sanitary and safety standards
- Maintaining food cost control through oversight of purchasing, record-keeping and inventory control
- Ensuring safety and code compliance through regular fire drills and training of staff on emergency procedures and first aid
This job might be for you if:
- You are available to work Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm, with room for flexibility; you may also need to put in some extra hours and occasional Sunday work as needed
- You are familiar with the guidelines and compliance requirements of the NYC Department for the Aging (DFTA)
- You have a working knowledge of budgets and balancing spreadsheets, and can plan fun, safe, and appropriate activities that maintain the financial bottom line
- You are interested in learning more about food purchasing, control, preparation, and nutrition program
- You can roll up your sleeves and perform hands-on duties such as overseeing a kitchen that cooks food on a daily basis, mediating disputes, addressing complaints, and being on call during Sundays and holidays
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to clearly and appropriately communicate in a variety of settings and styles; can write reports and grants, review newsletters and other correspondence
- You have strong planning, program management, problem-solving and community-building skills
- You can build and maintain effective working relationships with program participants, staff and volunteers
- You are well-versed on senior citizen programming trends and practices, and you enjoy working with the seniors and people from diverse backgrounds
- You are creative, composed and people-oriented
- You are proficient in the use of Google Suite, MS Office applications and social media
- You are eager and comfortable to learn and model universal Jewish values while working in and with a large, diverse population
Working at the Y can be very rewarding and fulfilling too!
- Salary: $ 75,000 - 85,000 (commensurate with your qualifications)
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Competitive benefits package that will give you peace of mind(Health Insurance; Retirement Plan; Optional 403b Plan; Life Insurance; Flexible Spending Account; Commuter Benefit Plan; Free Y Fitness Center/Gym Membership)
This job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. This position is open to internal and external candidates.
To land this job, you need to have:
- Master's Degree in one of the following fields: Social Work (MSW), Business Administration (MBA), Public Administration (MPA) or a related field.
- Strong background in geriatrics
- At least eight years of supervisory experience in the aging field
You are extra awesome if:
- You are bilingual in English and Spanish
75,000 - 85,000
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.