Location and Job Title:
Group Fitness Coordinator
JCC of Greater Baltimore
3506 Gwynnbrook Ave
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Reporting to the Senior Director of Fitness, OM, this position is responsible for hiring, scheduling, training, supervising, and evaluating all group fitness instructors for the Rosenbloom Owings Mills JCC. This position is responsible for creating and maintaining the group fitness class schedule, evaluating the quality of the group fitness program, members' needs and enhancing the program accordingly. He/she will assist in creating and monitoring the annual budget and expenses including payroll. The coordinator will be expected to stay up to date on their knowledge of upcoming group exercise trends and will be responsible for the planning and execution of all group fitness special events. He/she will oversee the maintenance of group fitness equipment and inventory control of program supplies. Willingness to assist the Senior Director of Fitness with additional duties as required. He/she will train and/or teach a maximum of 10 hours a week on a regular basis.
This full-time position requires the incumbent to work a varied schedule with possible early morning, evening and weekend hours. In addition, flexibility is necessary for meetings, programs and events as needed as our facilities are open seven days a week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all aspects of operations, strategy, planning and staffing for group fitness program.
- Create, update and maintain all aspects of the group fitness class schedule on an ongoing basis.
- Supervise all group fitness instructors at the Rosenbloom Owings Mills JCC.
- Work with other JCC departments on programming and cross promotion of programs and services.
- Develop effective and engaging member group fitness programs, workshops and events.
- Hold departmental meetings as necessary determined by you and the Senior Director of Fitness, OM.
- Work with Senior Director of Fitness, OM to recruit, hire, train and evaluate all group fitness instructors.
- Work with LifeBridge Health Community Wellness Manager to promote and deliver wellness programs to the JCC community.
- Develop bi-monthly plan for achieving program participation goals with accountability.
- Consistently maintain expense control measures for the department.
- Submit bi-weekly payroll in a timely manner.
- Provide monthly reports to track participation trends.
- Conduct Periodic Formal Reviews with staff.
- Enforce departmental policies through effective club communications system.
- Maintain professional attire and demeanor at all times.
- Stay current on industry trends.
- Participate in JCC and community events as needed.
- Perform other duties as required or directed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Requires long periods of standing or sitting.
- Moderate use of computer terminal screen, right or left-hand use, typing.
- Grasping and gripping movements.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.Some lifting may require additional assistance from another staff person. Employee is expected to use discretionary judgment and ask for assistance from another employee if an item is perceived to be too heavy to lift without assistance.
- Use of personal safety equipment required.
- Continuous exposure to moderate to loud noise.
- Occasional lifting, pulling, climbing, kneeling, and bending.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by supervisor or other management as required.The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the needs arise.This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Energetic, outgoing and driven individual who is passionate about Fitness and Wellness.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Four-year college degree in Exercise Science or related field of study or 4 to 5 years of experience in the fitness industry preferred or any combination of education and experience.
- Must hold a current group exercise certification from one of the following groups: American Council on Exercise (ACE), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), National Exercise Trainers Association (NETA), or Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA).
- CPR/AED/FA certification required.
- Must have excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing to individuals and small groups. Must be able to build rapport and relationships with all instructors and members.
- Must be enthusiastic and exude a desire to motivate and help others to improve their level of professionalism through growth and development in the fitness industry.
- Advanced computer literacy skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Exceptional program management, presentation and customer services skills.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
JCC membership is like becoming a part of a family, everyone truly is welcome! Drop by and take a tour; you won't believe how many wonderful recreational, educational, social and cultural activities you will find here. There really is something for everyone! Members enjoy a wide variety of benefits including free group fitness classes and use of our Fitness Center, Aquatics Center, Parenting Center, Teen Center and Performing Arts Center. Special member rates save you money on many classes and events as well.