Location and Job Title:
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
1125 College Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
Performs general accounting, including preparing balance sheets, income statements & cash flow statements. Reconciles general ledger, bank accounts, petty cash records, cash disbursement accounts, payroll accounts & customer accounts. Manages accounts receivable balances & collections processes.Accounting or Finance graduate to assist in all areas of the
business office functions. A 4-year accounting or finance degree needed, no
exceptions. Experience preferred but not required. This position
will report to the CFO, assist existing staff in accounting duties and work on
special projects. Must be proficient & advanced in Excel, adaptable
to using all types of software & comfortable working in an online (cloud)
- Knowledge and Education - Minimum Required or Preferred: Bachelor's degree in accounting or related business field required.
- Experience - Minimum Required or Preferred: At least two years of related experience preferred.
- Special Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent time management & organizational skills and attention to detail. Knowledge of general financial accounting, basic cost accounting and best practice internal controls. Understanding of and the ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles. Ability to correctly prepare reports for tax reporting. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software and accounting software. Ability to quickly learn and apply other software packages, including Salesforce based software.
- Physical Requirements: Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
General Staff Accountant Job Duties:
- Assists in preparing internal financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from departments.
- Analyzes information and options by developing spreadsheet reports & verifying information.
- Prepares general ledger entries by maintaining records and files; reconciling accounts.
- Prepares payments by accruing expenses; assigning account numbers; requesting disbursements; reconciling accounts.
- Develops and implements accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures & recommending changes.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Performs general accounting and other related duties for the organization.
- Assists in preparing monthly / quarterly / annual balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements.
- Inputs the annual budget and projections into accounting software.
- Reconciles general ledger accounts and assists in closing the monthly books.
- Assists in reconciling bank accounts monthly, verifies deposits & expenditures, and addresses inquiries from banks.
- Maintains petty cash records; reconciles and replenishes monthly for all sites.
- Reconciles cash disbursement accounts, payroll accounts, customer accounts, and other financial accounts.
- Manages accounts receivable balances and collections process; reports delinquent accounts quarterly to collection agency.
- Verifies and/or completes payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts.
- Provides outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit.
- Assists outside tax accountants with preparation of federal, state, and local government income tax forms.
- Maintains knowledge of acceptable accounting practices and procedures.
35,000 - 45,000
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus is a human service agency offering a varied program that is Jewish in nature. It is committed to enhancing the quality of individual and family life through the promotion of physical, intellectual and spiritual wellness. It provides educational and cultural programs that reflect the Jewish heritage, health related activities and many services to the community at large. Through its wide array of programs, the JCC pursues its mission of strengthening the individual, family and community.
The JCC nurtures a passion for Jewish learning and living. Through programs and services, the JCC provides comfortable and inviting environments in which the community can thrive.