Location and Job Title:
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
The NYC Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is the nation's most extensive youth employment program, connecting New York City youth between the ages of 16 through 21 with career exploration opportunities and paid work experience each summer. This is an important program for low-income youth who may face multiple barriers to obtaining early work experiences. Youth benefit from workforce development programs that offer hands-on exposure, paid internships, access to job-skills training, and opportunities to develop social, civic, and leadership skills.
The Job Developer's primary responsibility is to successfully recruit and retain diverse worksites that provide over 600 SYEP-OY program participants a positive work and learning experience where they attain the skills, strategies, and knowledge needed to thrive in the workforce. The Job Developer will also ensure worksites comply with DYCD regulations and maintain year-round relationship with site supervisors.
- Recruit and develop a diversified portfolio of reputable worksites, including attending job fairs (virtual and, when CDC guidance allows, in person) and conducting year-round outreach efforts.
- Assist prospective worksites with the application process to become formal Y worksites.
- Process partner applications and input them into DYCD's online database system.
- Conduct site visits to complete pre-assessments and site evaluations following DYCD regulations.
- Co-lead SYEP-OY/WLG worksite orientations and job fairs with Program Director
- Ensure Worksite Monitors submit worksite assessments and evaluations into DYCD's online system and file them in a timely and organized manner and provide coverage for Worksite Monitors as needed.
- File worksite-related incident reports as they arise.
- Support Program Director with audit preparations.
- Assist with participant enrollment
- Participate in supervision and Youth & Family Department meetings, including:
- Weekly supervision with SYEP-OY/WLG Program Director
- Weekly SYEP-OY/WLG team meetings
- Monthly Workforce Development Team meetings
- Monthly Y&F meetings
- Regular meetings with the HR team
- Keep an active pool of candidates and applicants database from various sources such as:
- Career Fairs
- Y Career/Employment Sites
- Provide general support to Y colleagues as needed
- Compensation at $20 per hour
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- Seasonal position (March through August)
- 40-hour week; 8-hour workday (with half an hour unpaid lunch)
- Workdays: Monday -Friday (10 am - 6:30 pm) with room for flexibility
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong outreach, relationship-building, and stewardship skills
- Solid organizational skills, including attention to details
- Strong follow-through skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluation skills
- Able to take initiative and follow through multiple deliverables in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in the use of Google Suite and MS Office applications
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree
- Demonstrated experience in successful outreach efforts
- At least two years of experience in Workforce Development or similar areas
- Bilingual in Spanish and English, preferred
TRAVEL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Able to travel via subway or bus
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCE
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the background checks and fingerprinting through the Department of Health
Established in 1917, YM&YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood (the Y) is a not-for-profit Jewish community center that welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We offer a wide range of educational, sports, recreational, and social services programs to enhance the quality of life of the people we serve.From topnotch early childhood education and youth development programs to innovative senior center services, there's always something for everyone at the Y!