Location and Job Title:
Learning Lab Teaching Artist
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
Do you want to be part of a thriving and nurturing organization that constantly strives to provide topnotch youth development programs?
Join a larger community of education professionals where you can make a difference in the lives of youth while growing in your career and having fun doing meaningful work!
We are looking for Teaching Artist who can work in our programs for the 2020-2021 School Year. Programming is expected to begin in September 2020.
The Department of Education (DOE) in collaboration with the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) has created a new initiative known as "Learning Lab" to support families of preschool and school aged children who have opted for the hybrid (in-person and remote) model for the 2020-2021 School Year. Learning Labs at the Y are only open to NYC DOE students and operate from 8-3pm.
- Model and uphold agency values, policies and procedures.
- Abide by, monitor, and enforce the health and safety protocols with all participants.
- Develop and implement activities related to STEM, Leadership, Sports, Arts, and Social and Emotional Learning.
- Support students in an inclusive learning environment as they connect to their school classes virtually.
- Provide academic, behavioral, and emotional support to students.
- Assist students with homework assignments.
- Submit curriculum and lesson plans to Education Specialist in timely fashion.
- Develop a relationship with students by communicating, advising, assisting them in a warm, friendly environment, and treating them with respect.
- Ensure that all participants are appropriately supervised or dismissed at the end of each activity.
- Serve as a Mandated Reporter.
- Participate in staff meetings, program evaluations, program improvement, and professional development sessions throughout the school year.
- Provide other program support as needed.
This job might be for you if:
- You have at least (3) years of experience teaching/assisting elementary age students with academic skills (Math, Science, Social Studies, English and Language Arts).
- You have tutoring/homework help experience, and are able to promote positive character development.
- You have a sincere desire to effect positive social and academic change in the lives of NYC youth.
- You are well-organized, reliable and punctual.
- You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- You have experience working in an inclusive environment supporting students with autism, ADHD, and/or learning disabilities.
- You can work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Monday to Friday
- 7:30-3:30pm, with 30-minute unpaid lunch
PAY RATE: Visit ywashhts.org to know more about the great things that Y is doing for the community.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
To land this job, you need to:
- Possess a Bachelor's Degree in Education or related field OR at least three (3) years of experience with youth development.
- Master's Degree, preferred.
- Have experience working with youth in a classroom, afterschool, or community-based setting.
- Have experience in writing lesson plans and leading educational activities for youth.
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Pass the background check, medical tests and fingerprinting through the Department of Health.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English, preferred.
Established in 1917, YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the "Y") is a not-for-profit Jewish community center that welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We offer a wide range of educational, recreational and social services programs to enhance the quality of life of the people we serve. From topnotch early childhood education and youth development programs to innovative senior center services, there's always something for everyone at the Y!