Location and Job Title:
Chief Development Officer
800 Foster City Blvd
Foster City, CA 94404
Overview and History: For more than 70 years, the Peninsula Jewish Community Center (PJCC) has worked to inspire a sense of community in San Mateo County, with over 37,000 Jewish residents. Situated between San Francisco and Palo Alto, the PJCC is among the top 10 JCCs in North America. With a 12-acre home in Foster City, the PJCC's goal is to provide programs and services that reinforce the values and traditions the Jewish community embraces, while serving the broader community as well.
The PJCC seeks a strategic and skilled Chief Development Officer (CDO) to manage and implement all aspects of the PJCC's comprehensive fundraising program, with the goal of increasing annual philanthropic revenue from $2.5 million to $5 million+ over the next 5 years. Reporting directly to the CEO, this senior managerial position will join a growing, transformational leadership team, meaningfully contributing to the organization's financial health and sustainability and projecting an inspiring vision of the PJCC's impact and future direction.
A strong candidate will bring 7+ years of proven success in a nonprofit development or leadership position, strong relationship building skills, and experience managing a comprehensive fundraising department, including major gifts, planned giving, grants and foundation relations, corporate partnerships, legacy and endowment, events, marketing, and staff management.
- Spearhead strategies and activities to deepen PJCC's culture of philanthropy
- Serve as lead staff position in research, development, implementation, and review of data-driven fundraising program
- Manage and guide development team through priority setting, time management, execution of tasks, and interdepartmental coordination
- Lead expansion of development staff, including hiring, onboarding, and delineation of responsibilities for new team members
- Partner with the Development Committee Chair and Sub-Committee Chairs, Board President, and lay leaders to identify, cultivate and steward relationships with current and prospective major donors, foundations, corporations, and volunteers
- Create 3-5-year development plan in partnership with lay and professional leadership
- Participate in major institutional decision-making, especially related to development goals and strategies
- In collaboration with the Marketing Team, develop messaging to appeal to various donor constituencies, utilizing multiple channels (print, email, web, social, etc.)
- Share the PJCC story with confidence, communicating its unique value proposition to team members, participants, funders, and key stakeholders
- Represent the PJCC externally at community events and collaborations
- Oversee development budget, operations, and data and workflow system
Qualifications & Skills:
- Undergraduate degree required
- 7+ years of leadership experience
- Demonstrated success in soliciting 6 and 7 figure major gifts
- Passion for the mission of PJCC; ability to compellingly articulate it
- Substantial knowledge of and ability to impart development best practices
- Ability to think strategically and exercise sound judgment
- Effective and timely executive decision-making skills
- Aptitude for identifying innovative and creative approaches to challenges and growth opportunities
- Significant supervisory experience; ability to provide timely feedback
- Capacity to inform, motivate and inspire colleagues and supporters
- Clear and persuasive verbal and written communication skills; sophisticated interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks
- Experience developing qualitative and quantitative measures to track development impact
- Comfort with Microsoft Office Suite; Salesforce experience a plus
- Willingness to work in-office five days a week, some nights and weekends
$150,000 - $165,000
Welcoming with joy people of all ages, faiths, and backgrounds, our innovative Center provides programs and services designed to meet the needs of everyone from infants to seniors.
Come work out in our 50,000 square foot Byer Athletic Center; take a class at our Koret Learning Center; create a lifetime of memories for your children at our award-winning preschool or at Camp Keff.
At the PJCC we believe in a 'Wellness Your Way' approach to overall wellness. Wellness Your Way is an integrated approach to help youth and adults of all ages experience greater well-being by helping you identify your own, unique wellness formula and create a plan to put that formula to work in your life.
Your personal wellness formula serves your whole life, and it is unique to you. Your formula includes Nourish, Move and Engage activities that are the building blocks of a life well-lived.