Location and Job Title:
Toddler Lead Teacher, Early Childhood Center
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
Signing Bonus: Qualified candidates who are hired by the Bender ECC will receive a $1000 signing and retention bonus based on reaching specific milestones.
About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC embraces and welcomes the diversity of our community and encourages everyone to seek meaning and fulfillment by participating in our rich programming inspired by our Jewish heritage. We open our doors to everyone, including people of all backgrounds, religions, abilities and sexual orientations, and interfaith couples and families.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) - We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) - We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) - We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) - We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (B'yachad) - We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh v'HaGuf) - We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) - We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
Our preschool teachers are essential to the Bender JCC, creating a warm, engaging, and safe environment and community for our students. The Bender Early Childhood Center is one of our core programs, and our lead teachers are central to the functioning of the school. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of our preschool families.
What You'll Do:
- Ensure a high quality experience for our students and families, consistent with our values and licensing requirements.
- Be a life-long learner, open to feedback and seeking professional growth opportunities.
- Supervise and mentor your teaching teammates.
- Develop and convey a familiarity with Jewish rituals and customs, while creating a warm and welcoming community for or diverse student body
- Provide excellent communication to ECC families.
- Participate in the life of the school and JCC beyond the classroom, creating a sense of community and camaraderie throughout the program.
- Stay up-to-date on licensing requirements, including annual continuing education hours
- Passionate about the work. You are motivated by the mission of the Bender JCC and you have a deep connection and desire for this work to exist in the world.
- You believe that diversity is a strength. You account for the value of diversity in every aspect of your work and you understand the nuances of diversity that shape the experiences of students and families.
- Compassionate. You are committed to nurturing our children with warmth and compassion.
- Supportive of your colleagues and students. You want the best for those around you and are excited about their accomplishments. You work to create a supportive environment to help your colleagues and students thrive.
- Innovative and grounded. You love trying new things and devising creative solutions to persistent problems. Most importantly, you know how to make it happen.
- Collaborative, with strong interpersonal skills. You enjoy learning from and with talented colleagues and are excited to be part of the success of the Bender Early Childhood Center and the whole organization.
- Knowledgeable about early childhood education. You understand best practices and are committed to continued education.
- Open to feedback. You have a desire and willingness to learn and grow, using feedback from colleagues and administrators as an opportunity for professional development.
- Communicative. You engage in and understand the importance of effective communication.
You should have:
- First Aid and CPR training and certification.
- 4 year College Degree in Early Childhood Education
- 90-hour certificate in early childhood curriculum & human growth & development, 0-5 years.
- Have your Infant/toddler certifications, including 45 hour I/T curriculum/methods, Breast Feeding, and, if applicable, 9-hour communications
- Minimum 3 years' experience with toddlers or 2-year-old students, with increasing responsibility, in an approved center, or equivalent work experience.
- Physical ability to ensure the safety and care of the children, including, but not limited to, lifting (up to 40 lbs), carrying and chasing children.
- Desire and ability to work in a team environment.
- Required COVID-19 vaccination
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position, with a salary between $40k-$46k, commensurate with experience. The Bender JCC provides a benefits package that includes 403b, medical, dental, and vision benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO), and a flexible working environment. You'll also receive a full family membership to the Bender JCC, including complete access to the entire fitness facility and pools, plus staff discounts on programs and services.
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they feel that they meet 100% of the qualifications. If this role sounds interesting to you, we encourage you to apply! The Bender JCC is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
35,000 - 45,000
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.