Location and Job Title:
Early Childhood Assistant Teacher Job ( 3 & 4 year old - Monday - Friday 9am-6pm)
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
1125 College Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
Assist the Lead Teacher in providing and supervising safe activities which promote the emotional, social, intellectual and physical development of the children.
- Knowledge and Education - Minimum Required or Preferred: High School Diploma (or GED); some post high school education in early childhood development or similar field preferred.
- Experience - Minimum Required or Preferred: Previous experience working with young children; two years minimum preferred.
- Special skills: Sincerely enjoy and value children and their education
- Physical Requirements: Young children are very active. To teach young children effectively and keep them safe, the teacher must be physically able to keep up with children.
- Be able to lift up to 25 pounds: Move a child during an emergency; lift/carry child to quiet area during outbursts.
- Be able to run: Reach a child quickly / protect a child during an emergency; participate in physical play with children to keep them engaged.
- Be able to sit on the floor: Young children play on the floor. Teachers must be able to interact with children on their level. Because young children explore and change activities frequently, teachers must be physically able to get off the floor and sit back down easily.
- Stamina: Young children move constantly throughout their day. Teachers must be able to maintain the same level of energy throughout the day.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the lead teacher in providing appropriate early childhood education experiences with an emphasis on implementing the JCC Jewish curriculum, Creative Curriculum, and Step Up to Quality Standards in the classrooms.
- Assume the role of lead teacher in the absence of the lead teacher.
- Assist in providing and supervising activities which promote the emotional, social, intellectual and physical development of each child.
- Assist in arrangement and upkeep of classroom and classroom equipment and materials.
- Help the lead teacher as they document and write assessments on the children in the classroom.
- Report and discuss any problems with children or class management to the lead teacher.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding children and families.
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. (internet social media personal accounts) may not contain information or pictures about children at the JCC, the JCC, or work related issues with other staff or the JCC.
- Supervise all activities to insure safety of each child at all times, complete incident reports and communicate information to lead teacher and director.
- Greet each child and parent warmly and in a friendly manner each morning upon arrival.
- Work with parents to promote understanding of growth and development of their child and to assist head teacher in a mid-year parent conference.
- Participate in Jewish learning opportunities as provided by supervisor and other JCC staff. Use the Judaic curriculum as a guideline for Jewish learning in the classroom and in lesson plans.
- Participate actively in specialty classes.
- Attend week of in-service training prior to the start of the school year (August) and Teacher In-Service Day in February.
- Attend day and evening staff meetings as required by director.
- Attend special events, programs, and meetings as called upon by supervisor during or after school hours (for example: Curriculum Night, Meet the Teacher, Family Shabbat Dinners, ECE Family Picnic, Art Show, and holiday programs). Dates will be communicated to staff at least three weeks in advance.
- Naptime is allocated for JCC work not personal business. Acceptable activities for staff working during naptime in the classroom while children are sleeping include: Newsletters, changing bulletin boards, cleaning countertops, toys, etc. Unacceptable activities for staff during this time include: Sleeping, dozing, meditating, use of personal data devices (including, but not limited to, texting, Facebook, twitter, etc.), and reading (ECE related reading acceptable) etc.
- Maintain a safe and clean classroom environment.
- Maintain a professional demeanor.
- Maintain neat and clean appearance.
- Respect all co-workers; work with other staff members in a cooperative manner.
- Follow personnel policies of the JCC of GC and represent the JCC in a manner befitting a professional educator.
- Maintain scheduled hours in a timely manner; notify preschool office in the event of absence.
- Submit all necessary forms and certificates related to licensing requirements in advance of the school year and on demand.
- NO NON EMERGENT CELL PHONE USAGE (including texting & games) during work hours.
- 2019 FESTIVAL DAYS: 9/25, 10/1, & 10/2/18; 4/26 & 6/10/19 (new hire 6/3/2018+ work all)
- Expected to work 3 of the 5 Festival Days
- If the Festival Day is a Holiday as defined by the JCC Handbook, staff working the Festival Day will receive Holiday Pay (if eligible for Holiday Pay) for hours regularly scheduled and wages for hours actually worked.
- Teachers observing these religious Holidays are not required to work Festival Days
- All other duties as assigned.
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus is a human service agency offering a varied program that is Jewish in nature. It is committed to enhancing the quality of individual and family life through the promotion of physical, intellectual and spiritual wellness. It provides educational and cultural programs that reflect the Jewish heritage, health related activities and many services to the community at large. Through its wide array of programs, the JCC pursues its mission of strengthening the individual, family and community.