Location and Job Title:
Martin Pear JCC
12701 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director the Lifeguard is to maintain safe swimming conditions in the pools, around the deck, and surrounding areas. The Lifeguard creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member and community safety.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Maintains active surveillance of the pools, splash pad, activity areas.
- Has knowledge of and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations in accordance with the JCC policies and procedures. Completes all reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Conducts chemical checks and inspects pool facility for unsafe or broken equipment.Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Attends all in-service training and staff meetings.
- Dress appropriately for all shifts.
- Valid Lifeguard Certification required; (CPR) for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with the Red Cross standards.
- Must maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness at all times.
- Minimum age of 16.
- Finger printing and Background Check shall be subject to pre-employment or placement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / DEMANDS
- Remains alert with no lapses of consciousness.Able to recognize noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Meets strength and lifting requirements such as rescuing a swimmer out of the water from 50-300 lbs.
- Remains outside in 100+ degree temperatures for one hour shifts with rotations every 15-40 minutes. And able to climb and sit on guard chairs approximately six feet.
- Performs maintenance task which includes moving pressure hoses, sweeping and scrubbing bathrooms and pool tile, emptying garbage cans, cleaning, setting up, and breaking down tables, chairs including lounge chairs.
SAFETY: MUST PRACTICE AND PROMOTE SAFETY AT ALL TIMES
Salary: $13-15/hr based on experience
The Martin Pear JCC in the Valley of the Sun is an all-inclusive community - from the programs offered, to the people served - The J is a place where everyone is welcome. We have a variety of programs to pique your interest and to engage mind and bodies, from infants to seniors. No matter your fitness goals, The J can help you reach them. We have the equipment, classes and trainers to help you achieve total body health through a variety of fitness and wellness programs. We are not just about fitness. We have programs and services for all ages, interests and abilities. Our Bob Gottschalk Youth & Camp Wing provides a fun and safe environment for youth, including our Club J after school program and new Teen Lounge. For our youngest members, we have our outstanding accredited Early Childhood Center preschool program. The J is your place for gathering your family, meeting old friends, making new friends and for trying something new.