Location and Job Title:
Director of Social Services
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
WORKING AT THE CENTER FOR ADULTS LIVING WELL @ THE Y (CALW)
The CALW offers holistic programs and services to promote the health and wellness of seniors in the community. The Senior Center offers everything from tai chi, yoga, nutrition, brainercise, swimming, music appreciation, painting to lectures, discussion groups, trips, and social events to help seniors achieve a complete state of physical, social, and emotional well-being. CALW is a thriving and diverse place for professionals who are passionate about caring for the aging members of the community.
The Social Services Director's role is to develop, implement, oversee, coordinate, evaluate, and direct the day-to-day operations related to social services. The role includes supervising full-time and part-time staff members, and student interns.
- Connect and network with community agencies that can provide the needed services to seniors.
- Train and supervise case managers.
- Provide direct services to clients, as needed, including crisis intervention and counseling.
- Oversee, maintain, and update systems (hard-copy and electronic) to enroll members and monitor participation.
- Disseminate updates to staff regarding agency protocol and policy/procedural changes affecting members/client services.
- Participate with agency administration in program evaluation and policy development.
- Conduct community outreach to publicize social services programs and attract new members.
- Comply with agency and funding source regulations.
- Directly supervise at least two case managers and student interns.
- Able to travel to various agencies and offices in New York City
POSITION TYPE / EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- Full-time position; seven-hour workday (plus 30 minutes unpaid lunch break)
- Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm, with room for flexibility.
This position may require Sunday work (as needed).
- Work is performed in a community center environment
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
- Health Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Pension Plan
- Optional 403b Plan
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- Free Y Fitness Center/Gym Membership
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) upon hire, or must be obtained within one year of employment
- Three (3) years supervisory experience
- One (1) year experience in the delivery of social services including benefits/entitlements, Medicare/Medicaid, housing assistance, SNAP, and other related services
- One (1) year experience working with adults 60 and over
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Seminar in Field Instruction (SIFI) certification, preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Proven planning, leading, organizing, and monitoring skills; can evaluate and continuously improve programs and services to keep the center vibrant with engaged members and innovative programs
- Able to effectively allocate time and resources; can follow through multiple deliverables
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to clearly and appropriately communicate, and understand members and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Organization and people savvy; able to motivate staff members; can collaborate, influence, forge partnerships, and maintain cordial, professional relationships with peers, subordinates, and community members
- Comfortable dealing with change; flexible and adaptable especially when faced with challenging situations
- Proficient in the use of Google Suite and MS Office applications.
- Eager and comfortable to learn and model universal Jewish values, while working in and with a large, diverse population.
- Can demonstrate a sincere desire to help the elderly; ability to empathize, remain patient and responsive to the demands of the aging members
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCE
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the background check and other pre-employment requirements
55,000 - 65,000
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood ("The Y") is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.