Location and Job Title:
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
BE ME AFTER SCHOOL
Be Me is the Y's in-house Jewish after school Program for Kinder to 5th-grade students. At Be Me, we are committed to instilling universal values such as enrichment, inclusion, and curiosity to learn new things. Our warm, welcoming culture creates a vibrant afterschool community, where we all look out for each other and take care of the world around us, especially for our children. Staff members are central to carrying out this vision by supporting, running, and sometimes even creating programs that are in line with our educational goals and values, and by providing positive and enthusiastic energy every day.
The Sports Specialist is an expert in general sports and movement activities, and can motivate and inspire young people to lead healthy and active lives.
They are responsible for developing activities, games, and lessons that meet every individual's needs while fostering a fun, inclusive and respectful environment that welcomes all participants from diverse backgrounds.
The person in this role is a role model to youth, always conducting themselves the utmost professional manner and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Model and uphold agency values, policies and procedures.
- Recruit and maintain the target number of program participants.
- Ensure daily activity lesson plans and projects are structured, age-appropriate, and have clear learning goals based on the provided sports curricula.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Explain principles, techniques, and safety procedures to participants in the activities, and demonstrate the use of materials and equipment.
- Enforce safety rules and regulations governing sports, recreational activities, and the use of equipment.
- Prepare facilities for group activities.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Promote and ensure the progressive development of participant skills.
- Promote positive character development among participants.
- Enforce rules and expectations of the program to maintain safety at all times, including consistent gym work, play, and clean-up routines.
- Model appropriate behavior to participants, and use positive behavior-management techniques with participants when necessary to help solve youth problems.
- Instill values of respect, team spirit, passion, modesty, fair play, and individuality in participants.
- Organize and supervise recreational activities to promote physical, mental, and social development.
- Ensure that all participants are appropriately supervised or dismissed at the end of each activity.
- Work is performed in a typical community center environment.
POSITION TYPE / EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- Part-time position
- Core hours of work days: Monday-Thursday, 4 pm - 5:30 pm
- Paid at $31 per hour
This job description is not
designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or
responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and
responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully,
an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington
Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals
regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual
orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Coaching credential preferred.
- CPR and First Aid Certified preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in coaching elementary students.
- Minimum educational qualification H.S. Diploma.
- Proven ability to exercise mature judgment and sound decision making.
- Strong communication skills; can speak professionally to participants, staff members, and guests.
- Experience working in a multiethnic, urban community.
- Experience promoting the physical, intellectual, social, cultural and emotional well-being of elementary age students.
- High level of energy and endurance for 1 hour of sport lessons, movement and interaction with participants between the ages of 5-7 and 8-10.
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCE
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the background checks by the Y and Department of Health (DOH).
- Received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to beginning your employment, except for those who obtain an exception due to medical reasons through the reasonable accommodation process.
Established in 1917, YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the "Y") is a not-for-profit Jewish Community Center that welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We offer a wide range of educational, recreational, and social services programs to enhance the quality of life of those we serve.