Location and Job Title:
Preschool Teachers and/or Assistant Teachers
Dave & Mary Alper JCC
11155 SW 112th Ave
Miami, FL 33176
Progressive preschool in Kendall - South West Dade County, is in search of educated and caring teachers and assistant teachers. All applicants must have early childhood experience and have an understanding of constructivist learning. If you are looking for a school that inspires our youngest to be motivated life-long learners, then we may be a fit for you! We are most interested in applicants that have CDA or higher, ECE/Child Development or currently in school for Early Childhood Education or related fields. Judaic knowledge helpful. Please include your cover letter, your resume and three professional references. We look forward to meeting qualified candidates.
- Attend to children's physical and emotional safety.
- Provide an environment of acceptance in which children can grow with a positive self-concept.
- Develop relationships with families and colleagues.
- Be with children joyfully.
- Maintain own and shared physical spaces.
- Attend to daily communication with the use of an app and/or phone, email.
- Identify your professional path.
- Participate in self-evaluation and school evaluations processes.
- Stay current in the field.
- Each teacher will develop the understanding that children learn by interacting with others in an intriguing environment that contains open-ended activities and materials. Children will be enriched by a developmentally, individually, and culturally appropriate emergent curriculum that teachers will develop and provide daily.
- Pay close attention to children's play, engage in reflection and discussion about children's growth and learning, and respond to children's play themes and developmental themes.
- Plan and implement a balanced pedagogy based on observation and reflection according to the school goals and philosophy.
- Document children's play and learning, including daily reflections, weekly newsletters, school app and other vehicles implemented by the school.
- Attend to classroom management, including flow of the day, group dynamics, and conflict resolutions.
- Support and facilitate children's play indoors and outdoors.
- Care for classroom environment and aesthetics.
- Nurture physical, spiritual, emotional, social, cognitive and literary growth and development of each child.
- Provide care, protection, consistency, and guidance to the children.
Administrative & Classroom
- Read and maintain children's files including work samples, anecdotal notes and other documentation.
- Complete accurate reports as directed (i.e. attendance, accidents/incidents, illness reports, medication administration, ID checks, individual child meals and diaper record keeping when applicable, etc.)
- Establish and maintain a well-organized, clean and safe healthy environment for children. Check materials, equipment, and supplies to see that amounts are adequate and that they are in good repair. Take preventative measures against hazards to physical safety. Care for and maintain equipment within the school.
- Supervise, train and constructively utilize volunteer's skills and abilities.
Communication & Community
- Uphold the Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor, including all concerns regarding a child's progress.
- Plan and participate in school / JCC social and family education programs.
- Monitor growth and development of each child and communicate progress and concerns with parents and director.
- Maintain a continuing dialogue with families including conferences as needed.
- Maintain a continuing dialogue and problem solving with the teaching team.
- Collaborate with other faculty members to create a learning community.
- Foster and develop the teaching and leadership ability of your colleagues, finding ways to make their jobs as rewarding and stimulating as possible. Make your expectations clear to your colleagues, following through to see that expectations are met, and that you are utilizing your colleagues' abilities and input.
- Protect the rights and privacy of children and families by maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Maintain adherence to all company policies and procedures, including agency safety requirements.
- Work the days and hours to perform all assigned responsibilities and tasks, be punctual and timely in meeting all performance requirements, including but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines.
- Performs additional program duties as assigned by the director according to the school and agency needs.
- Abides by the policies and procedures of the school as written in the staff manual and any addendums send during the year.
- Complete a minimum of ten (10) hour or one (1) CEU in-service training per year, beginning July 1 and ending June 30.
- Participate in lifelong learning by increasing knowledge and abilities in the field of early childhood education through attendance at workshops and courses, reading books or periodicals, etc.
- Work towards increasing knowledge of Judaism and related topics
- Participate in professional development days and meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Child Development, Psychology, or Sociology; or Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development; or Child Developmental Associate Credential (CDA). Employees who do not hold these credentials may be asked to pursue extensive education in the field of education or a related field.
- Department of Children and Families approved 45-clock-hour introductory course in child care or the educational exemption granted by the training coordinating agencies, when applicable.
- Meet Florida Department of Health requirements for teaching in an Early Childhood Learning Center.
- CPR and First Aid certification or willingness to acquire it.
- Strong English communication skills: oral, reading and writing.
- Working knowledge of the growth and development of young children and ability to utilize this information in the classroom.
- Ability to supervise volunteers and substitutes and work in a teaching team.
- Judaic knowledge or willingness to acquire this knowledge through study.
- Ability to relate to young children and adults in an emotionally responsive manner.
- Be sensitive to individual children's differences and needs, and be willing to adjust the program to meet those individual needs.
- Competent in various skill areas such as music, art, science, literacy, mathematics, language development and physical development.
- Competent in various skill areas such as planning, scheduling, record keeping, classroom environmental design and arrangement, classroom management, physical safety of children, and staff and parent communication.
- Be motivated to learn and grow in an educational environment and be willing to continually increase knowledge in the field of Early Childhood Education, including collaboration with specialists , coaches and consultants
- Be willing to work in a team environment; willing to collaborate with colleagues and members of the community.
- Graduate degree in a child related field.
- At least three years of experience in the group education of children.
- Jewish education.
- Ability to actively participate in children's play and care including frequent reaching, running, and sitting on the floor and in small chairs.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and by phone.
- Seeing to read and prepare documents, monitor children for safety, and perform assigned duties.
- Must have visual and auditory ability to keep track of multiple children and to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to preschool activity.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to lift children.
- Ability to safely lift or move up to 35 lbs. on an occasional basis, for example movement of materials, furniture or and boxes.
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, stretching, squatting, pushing and pulling, reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Frequent exposure to outside elements, such as sun exposure, heat, humidity and rain.
- Must possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of children.
- Noise level can be moderate to loud.
- Commensurate with experience and education.
- Salary ranges between $11-15 per hour
- Continued employment is dependent upon availability of funding resources and satisfactory job performance.
Located in sunny, beautiful Miami, Florida, the sprawling Alper JCC at The Jay Morton-Levinthal Campus lies in the heart of the suburb of Kendall, easily reached by many nearby transportation crossroads. Convenient and accessible, our Center provides many opportunities for the Jewish community and all south Miami-Dade County residents to enjoy recreational, educational, cultural and social activities.
Through our extensive facilities, we offer our Members and Non-Members the chance to meet and connect with individuals and families from all over. For fitness enthusiasts, our well-equipped Fitness Center is a great place to play racquetball with your family, train with a friend in the gym, or swim with a group in our Jr. Olympic pool. Our Youth and Adult Building, home to a wide selection of adult programs and our children's department offers the young and young at heart a place to gather and socialize. Also, our Sablotsky Cultural Arts Center hosts visual arts exhibits and performances for all ages and focuses on bringing quality, renowned Jewish artists, authors, and entertainers for the community to enjoy.
The Alper JCC is also home to many high-quality programs, each recognized for their excellence and commitment to the community. Our superb Quality Counts 5-Star Glen Greenstein Early Childhood Development Center offers families the perfect setting for their children, infants through preschoolers, to grow, learn, and appreciate Jewish heritage. For children, the Kids Connection After School Program provides a structured yet fun environment; and our summer camp gives campers the opportunity to grow and expand their horizons.
As a community agency, we strive to strengthen the Jewish community by promoting Jewish values, ethics and traditions through our programs and services. The Alper JCC invites you to become a Member today and take advantage all we have to offer.