Location and Job Title:
Indoor and Outdoor Pool Lifeguard Full Time Seasonal
JCC Greater Boston
333 Nahanton St
Newton, MA 02459
Are you looking for a summer job where you can use your lifesaving skills while working as part of a dynamic team? Through their skills and actions, JCC Greater Boston lifeguards create a safe and welcoming place for community members. We are seeking new team members who possess high standards, a strong customer service orientation and great teamwork. The Aquatics Team is a lively and fun group to work with. This is a full time on site role in Newton which will run from May through Labor Day weekend.
JCC Greater Boston is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston core values - Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation - which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
Through their skills and actions, our lifeguards create a safe and welcoming place for community members. We are seeking new team members who possess high standards, a strong customer service orientation and punctuality.
- Ensures the safety of every pool patron through education, vigilant preventative guarding, first aid, emergency medical services, and rescue services. Enforces the rules and regulations of the pools consistently. Maintains a safe and neat pool area; assist in pool maintenance by performing scheduled checks.
- Maintains good working relationships with staff members, maintenance personnel, administrative personnel, and pool patrons. Develops professional relationships with members and resolves member concerns in a professional manner or escalates them, as appropriate.
- Creates pool related documentation (e.g. opening/closing checklists, bather tracking and incident reports). Perform area cleaning and maintenance, as required.
- Conducts swim tests. Participate in weekly skill checks.
- Adjusts to organization's needs, working both indoor and outdoor shifts, as required.
- Learn all aspects of the pool facilities and its daily operations. For example, swim lessons, camp swim, etc. Be familiar with, and follow the pool schedule - including correctly configuring lane lines according to the schedule. Be familiar with 'traffic flow' in pool area and support social distancing procedures in the building.
- Support JCC goals and objectives. Serve as a member of the agency Fitness Staff with responsibilities, which, at times, extend beyond the limits of specialized functions. Attend all mandatory trainings and in-services
- Other activities as required by the organization
Rate is $20 to start, $22 for weekends and opening on weekdays.
JCC Greater Boston welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds who meet the requirements specified above. If you have the qualifications described above and seek to be part of a dynamic, collaborative and family-friendly team, please apply by sending your resume and a cover letter to Aquatics@jccgb.org
. For more information or questions, please email
Search terms: Lifeguard, Life Guard, Aquatics, Waterfront, Pool
- Current/valid American Red Cross Lifeguard certification, with CPR, AED and First Aid.
- Must be 16 years of age or older at time of hire.
- Able and willing to follow directions from supervisors and follow protocols
- JCC Greater Boston requires that new employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at time of hire. The JCC will consider requests for medical or religious exemption that do not pose undue hardship or a direct threat to health or safety.
- Able to see, hear and cognitively recognize situations requiring lifeguarding services
- Capable of working in a high temperature and high humidity environment for extended periods while wearing required personal protective equipment
- Able to make safety related decisions and perform CPR and/or first aid, as required
- Read, write, understand and speak English
- Must maintain an appropriate level of fitness in order to competently perform all job related tasks including the ability to swim distances and dive to pool depths, as determined by testing/certification authorities, and to lift 150 pounds or heavier weights with assistance and/or the use of proper equipment.
- Must be able to use a computer
The JCC Greater Boston values include: Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation. The agency provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: Early Learning Centers, summer camps, health and wellness programs, family engagement programs and cultural activities. The JCC is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background.
Our vision is to create a vibrant and evolving Jewish community where everyone belongs. Our mission is to be at the heart of that community by:
- creating a thriving community that nurtures meaningful and lasting relationships,
- welcoming a growing and increasingly diverse set of individuals and families from all over Greater Boston,
- supporting the building of unique identities rooted in Jewish values and deeper connections to Jewish life,
- nourishing minds, bodies, and spirits through dynamic, innovative, and accessible experiences, and
- expanding engagement by partnering closely with other organizations to ensure the continuing vitality of our community as whole.
COVID SAFETY JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff and children very seriously. Over 99% of our staff have been vaccinated. We have aligned all of our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC and the state. Our practices include ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, and use of face coverings when appropriate to promote the health of our staff and program participants.