Location and Job Title:
Outdoor Pool Manager (Part Time)
JCC Greater Boston
333 Nahanton St
Newton, MA 02459
Are you someone who loves using your many talents to make an organization thrive like a well run sports team? Are you experienced at pool management and team leadership? Do you have a strong focus on safety, customer service and quality?JCC Greater Boston is seeking managers with these skills to create a welcoming, safe and fun summer for our Outdoor Pool members. The pool is a cheerful setting on a beautiful campus in Newton. This is a part time seasonal position which may start in mid-May or mid-June and will run through Labor Day weekend.
JCC Greater Boston is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston core values - Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation - which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
- Learns and oversees the processes, standards and requirements to operate the outside pool effectively and safely. Ensures the safety of every pool patron through education, vigilant preventative guarding, first aid, emergency medical services, and rescue services. Monitors outdoor pool and solves problems when and if they arise.
- Ensures that all staff members are performing their duties to JCC expectations. Creates a congenial, collaborative team dynamic. Manages lifeguards, cleaning staff, and other pool staff regarding shift changes, break rotations, and lunch breaks. Makes shift changes, as required. Oversees weekly lifeguard swims and skill checks. Perform swim tests.
- Acts as a liaison between the pool members and the staff with an emphasis on customer service. Resolves logistical issues and member concerns in a professional manner or escalates them, as appropriate.
- Manages the facility including swim lane changes. Ensures cleanliness and neatness of pool area, grounds and bathrooms. Manages the pool and pump house. Specific responsibilities may include: chemical maintenance, draining/filling, backwashing and documentation.
- Serves as a member of the agency Fitness Staff with responsibilities, which, at times, extend beyond the limits of his/her specialized functions. Attends trainings and meetings, as requested. Adheres to JCC protocols (e.g. walkie-talkie, safety equipment, appropriate dress)
- Other activities as required
In addition to a rewarding position where you care for a community, the JCC Greater Boston provides competitive benefits including:
- Complimentary summer access to the JCC Greater Boston facility in Newton - offering indoor swimming and workout facilities
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding working environment including free parking
JCC Greater Boston welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds who meet the requirements specified above. If you want to share your talents with a great team, in a thriving, dynamic organization which is devoted to community building and lasting impact, please contact please apply by sending your resume and a cover letter to Aquatics@jccgb.org
. For more information or questions, please email HRoss@jccgb.org
- Current/valid American Red Cross Lifeguard certification, with CPR, AED and First Aid
- Attitude that strives to meet JCC goals and objectives
- JCC Greater Boston requires that new employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at time of hire. The JCC will consider requests for medical or religious exemption that do not pose undue hardship or a direct threat to health or safety.
- Cheerful, "can do" approach
- Ability to mentor staff members, especially junior team members
- Desire and skills to maintain good working relationships with staff members, maintenance personnel, administrative personnel, and pool patrons
- Ability to proactively see what is needed and take action
- Strong teamwork & relationship building skills, the ability to multitask, the ability to manage situations effectively and diplomatically
- Personal discipline and role modeling (e.g. high standards, punctuality, taking initiative)
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, Email, Google Docs
- Able to see, hear and cognitively recognize situations requiring lifeguarding services
- Capable of working in a high temperature and high humidity environment for extended periods while wearing required personal protective equipment
- Able to make safety related decisions and perform CPR and/or first aid, as required
- Read, write, understand and speak English
- Must maintain an appropriate level of fitness in order to competently perform all job related tasks including the ability to swim distances and dive to pool depths, as determined by testing/certification authorities, and to lift 150 pounds or heavier weights with assistance and/or the use of proper equipment
- Able to use a computer
The JCC Greater Boston values include: Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation. The agency provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: Early Learning Centers, summer camps, health and wellness programs, family engagement programs and cultural activities. The JCC is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background.
Our vision is to create a vibrant and evolving Jewish community where everyone belongs. Our mission is to be at the heart of that community by:
- creating a thriving community that nurtures meaningful and lasting relationships,
- welcoming a growing and increasingly diverse set of individuals and families from all over Greater Boston,
- supporting the building of unique identities rooted in Jewish values and deeper connections to Jewish life,
- nourishing minds, bodies, and spirits through dynamic, innovative, and accessible experiences, and
- expanding engagement by partnering closely with other organizations to ensure the continuing vitality of our community as whole.
COVID SAFETY JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff and children very seriously. Over 99% of our staff have been vaccinated. We have aligned all of our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC and the state. Our practices include ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, and use of face coverings when appropriate to promote the health of our staff and program participants.