Location and Job Title:
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
1125 College Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
On an as needed basis, follow the lead teacher's plan to implement, provide and supervise safe classroom activities which promote the emotional, social, intellectual and physical development of the children.
1. Knowledge and Education - Minimum Required or Preferred: AA or BS in Early Childhood Development or Elementary Education or related field.
2. Experience - Minimum Required or Preferred: Previous experience working with young children; two years minimum preferred.
3. Special skills: Knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices with young children. Good oral and written communication skills. Ability to work constructively with children and adults. Professional and positive attitude.
4. Physical Requirements: Young children are very active. To teach young children effectively and keep them safe, the teacher must be physically able to keep up with children.
a. Be able to lift up to 25 pounds: Move a child during an emergency; lift/carry child to quiet area during outbursts.
b. Be able to run: Reach a child quickly / protect a child during an emergency; participate in physical play with children to keep them engaged.
c. Be able to sit on the floor: Young children play on the floor. Teachers must be able to interact with children on their level. Because young children explore and change activities frequently, teachers must be physically able to get off the floor and sit back down easily.
d. Stamina: Young children move constantly throughout their day. Teachers must be able to maintain the same level of energy throughout the day.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize classroom folder with lesson plans and information about the classroom children for substitutes.
- Assist the lead, co-lead and/or assistant teacher to follow the classroom plan and execute a program of developmentally appropriate early childhood education experiences including art, music, movement, math, science and language, with an emphasis on implementing the JCC Jewish Curriculum, Creative Curriculum, and Step Up to Quality Standards in the classrooms.
- Assist the lead, co-lead and /or assistant teacher to provide and supervise activities which promote the emotional, social, intellectual and physical development of each child.
- Assist the lead, co-lead and/or assistant teacher to provide and maintain a neat, organized classroom, with a learning center focus; take responsibility for upkeep of all educational equipment and materials.
- Write and post activities daily on the wipe board outside the classroom door.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding children and families.
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. (internet social media personal accounts) may not contain information or pictures about children at the JCC, the JCC, or work related issues with other staff or the JCC.
- Supervise all activities to insure safety of each child at all times, complete incident or illness reports and communicate information to Director immediately.
- Greet each child and parent warmly and in a friendly manner each morning upon arrival.
- Participate in Jewish learning opportunities as provided by supervisor and other JCC staff. Use the Judaic curriculum as a guideline for Jewish learning in the classroom and in lesson plans.
- Participate actively in specialty classes.
- If asked, attend staff workshops and training opportunities, dates of which will be announced.
- Attend day and evening staff meetings as required by director.
- Naptime is allocated for JCC work not personal business. Acceptable activities for staff working during naptime in the classroom while infants / toddlers are sleeping include: Newsletters, changing bulletin boards, cleaning countertops, toys, etc. Unacceptable activities for staff during this time include: Sleeping, dozing, meditating, use of personal data devices (including, but not limited to, texting, Facebook, twitter, etc.), and reading (ECE related reading acceptable) etc.
- Maintain safe and clean classroom environment
- Maintain a professional demeanor.
- Maintain neat and clean appearance.
- Respect all co-workers; work with other staff members in a cooperative manner.
- Follow personnel policies of the JCCofGC and represent the JCC in a manner befitting a professional educator.
- Maintain scheduled hours in a timely manner; notify preschool office in the event of absence.
- In addition to JCC Employee Handbook Policies regarding termination of employment, ECE staff will:
- Notify the ECE Director/Site Director/Assistant Director (in writing within the appropriate time frame); who reserves the right to be the first contact with the preschool families in the classroom regarding the employee's last day through a note, email or phone call.
- Refrain from posting about the termination on social media until preschool families have been notified by the ECE Director/Site Director/Assistant Director.
- Leave personal classroom items in the classroom until the last day and hour of employment. The ECE Director/Site Director/Assistant Director reserves the right to confirm items removed from the classroom do not belong to the JCC.
- Not alter the classroom displays prior to or upon leaving.
- Failure to comply could cause immediate termination, will make the ECE employee ineligible for rehire, and may make the employee ineligible for PTO payout.
- Submit all necessary forms and certificates related to licensing requirements in advance of the school year and on demand.
- *** NO NON EMERGENT CELL PHONE USAGE (including texting & games) during work hours. ***
- FY 2018 FESTIVAL DAYS: 10/6, 10/12, & 10/13/17; 4/6 & 5/21/18
- Opportunities to sub
- All other duties as assigned.
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus is a human service agency offering a varied program that is Jewish in nature. It is committed to enhancing the quality of individual and family life through the promotion of physical, intellectual and spiritual wellness. It provides educational and cultural programs that reflect the Jewish heritage, health related activities and many services to the community at large. Through its wide array of programs, the JCC pursues its mission of strengthening the individual, family and community.