Location and Job Title:
Camp Twelve Trails Tribe Leaders
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
Camp Twelve Trails Tribe Leader is a member of the supervisory team at camp and oversees an entire unit of campers and supervises their counselors. This position requires someone who is a leader, with strong customer service skills, experience speaking with camper parents and mentoring staff to be the best counselors possible. You will be a role model, a coach, a cheerleader and the key level of support for young staff at camp.
Summer responsibilities include:
- Provide support and supervision for an entire Tribe (Age group) of campers and their counselors.
- Oversee the day to day program operations of the Tribe, including scheduling, activities and rainy-day programming.
- Act as the lead contact for parents. This includes weekly emails, unit newsletters and phone calls on an as needed basis.
- Lead Tribe wide camper programs and from time to time run activities for smaller groups within the Tribe.
- Be familiar with and enforce the personnel policies, safety rules, and program of camp.
- Lead and attend all camp meetings, activities and special programs.
- Provide behavior management techniques and intervention for campers where necessary.
- Evaluate the performance of each Counselor throughout the summer, both informally and written.
- Create a culture of trust and feedback within your Tribe.
- Must be entering senior year of college or equivalent
- Minimum of three years working in camp, or camp-like setting;
- Ability to teach skills to other staff members and campers of all ages
- Strong communication and problem solving skills
- Experience communicating and working with families with children of varying abilities
- Ability to remain calm and maintain perspective under pressure
- Commitment to work collaboratively with others
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing needs
- Much be energetic, enthusiastic and demonstrate and desire to go the extra mile;
At Camp Twelve Trails we are dedicated to universally shared values central to Jewish life. Our proactive integration of these values into everything we do supports children of all backgrounds and helps them grow into better people. Our warm, welcoming culture fosters a vibrant camp community where we all look out for each other and take care of the world around us. Staff are central to carrying out this vision by crafting programs that are in line with our educational outcomes, beliefs, and providing positive, enthusiastic energy every day. We expect staff above all to deliver the wow!