You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
President & Chief Executive Officer
197 E Broadway
New York, NY 10002
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume in confidence to EdAlliance@sandlersearch.org
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The President & CEO (CEO) is responsible for driving Ed Alliances overall vision, strategy, team, and operations. The CEO will manage an annual budget of over $50M, ensuring program excellence and innovation, continued revenue and partnership growth, operational efficiency, and financial stability across all Ed Alliance sites, including four free-standing community centers. The CEO will oversee a wide range of programs, including arts and culture, civic engagement, education, health and wellness, older adult services, and recovery and prevention.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will lead and inspire a diverse and dedicated team of over 700 employees. The CEO will directly supervise and collaborate with a highly experienced executive team including but not limited to the Chief Development Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief People Officer, Chief Program Officer, and Chief Strategy Officer. As the agency continues to adapt and evolve post-pandemic, the CEO will consult regularly with direct reports, site directors, and other staff leadership teams to assess and support staff development, retention, and culture.
As the organizations primary external spokesperson and champion, the CEO will energize and mobilize a wide range of key stakeholders. The CEO will also serve as the agencys chief fundraiser. In partnership with the Chief Development Officer, the CEO will implement development strategy and personally solicit support from existing and new funders, including government agencies, Jewish philanthropic partners, corporate sponsors, private foundations, and individual donors.
The CEO will also guide the strategy, operations, and fundraising for transformational, new agency initiatives. This includes overseeing the ongoing capital campaign to reinvigorate the 14th St Y as a vibrant hub for downtown Jewish and community life. The CEO will pursue and implement plans to create new and innovative partnerships with public and private sector groups.
Key responsibilities include:
Organizational Vision and Values
- In partnership with the Boards of Directors, drive the long-term strategy for Ed Alliance shaped by community needs and perspectives.
- Communicate agency goals and plans with clarity and enthusiasm, building energy and consensus around the organizations direction and strategies.
- Drive a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion to reflect, bring together, and partner with, the diverse communities in Lower Manhattan.
- Embrace the organizations Jewish values and be guided and inspired by Jewish teachings and history.
Management of Agency Staff and Board
- Serve as the agencys chief decision-maker, taking initiative and acting independently when necessary to drive solutions in the best interest of the organization.
- Supervise, and collaborate with the executive leadership team, learning from each leaders expertise and supporting their continued professional development.
- Inspire and connect with staff across the agency, driving a productive and collaborative culture with meaningful opportunities for professional growth.
- Report to and partner with Board members, maintaining regular and open communication about agency priorities and engaging relevant skillsets and networks as needed.
Program Excellence, Innovation, and Growth
- Develop and deliver programs with a community and data-centric approach, ensuring the organization is at the forefront of evolving community needs and interests.
- Supervise and collaborate with the Chief Program Officer to regularly evaluate a wide range of programs and advise on strategies for program improvement and innovation.
- Employ entrepreneurial sensibilities in identifying and pursuing opportunities for new program initiatives that advance the agencys mission and generate sustainable financial support.
Financial Resource Development and Stakeholder Engagement
- Set ambitious revenue goals, manage key stakeholder relationships, and personally solicit major support from government agencies, institutional funders, and individual donors.
- Manage real estate projects including overseeing logistics, garnering community support, and securing transformational gifts for current and future capital needs.
- Cultivate meaningful, long-term relationships with funders through effective stewardship and reliable reporting, including UJA-Federation of New York and government officials.
External Affairs and Community Relations
- Act as chief ambassador and thought leader for Ed Alliance through media appearances, speaking engagements, and agency-sponsored convenings.
- Leverage and nurture long-standing relationships with local nonprofits and human service institutions and pursue new, mutually beneficial community partnerships.
- Build and participate in community coalitions of fellow industry leaders and influencers.
Fiscal Sustainability and Operational Efficiency
- Working closely with the Chief Financial Officer, manage a complex annual budget of $50M+, including government contracts, fee-for-service programs, and philanthropy.
- Ensure efficient and effective facility operations across all Ed Alliance sites and compliance with city and state health and safety regulations.
- Manage plans for expansion and/or renovation of facilities, including the new 14th St Y building and other upcoming real estate projects.
Leadership and Management Experience
- Experience serving as a lead professional, driving high-level strategy, and making critical, day-to-day decisions impacting a multifaceted human service entity and broader community.
- Experience reporting to, managing, engaging, and recruiting Board members, particularly in the oversight of major agency initiatives, fundraising campaigns, and signature events.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, supervise, mentor, and empower agency leaders, incorporating diverse personal and professional backgrounds and balancing interests of multiple programs.
Program and Community Knowledge
- Knowledge of the New York nonprofit landscape, including the agencys community partners, competitors, other historically Jewish nonprofits, and human service providers.
- An advanced understanding of best practices for delivering affordable, high-quality programs and services for populations of varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Entrepreneurial sensibilities with an ability to create and drive forward innovative, new program ventures in consultation with subject-matter experts in relevant mission areas.
Communications and Fundraising Skills
- Experience as an organizations primary external spokesperson with the charisma and compassion needed to inspire, engage, and build trust of a wide range of constituents.
- Demonstrated success and enthusiasm for leading significant fundraising, managing key stakeholder relationships, and securing major contributions from a variety of funding sources.
- Experience leading and/or significant involvement in a capital campaign.
Personal Attributes and Values
- An approach that balances executive skills and servant leadership, demonstrating an ability to make independent decisions while leading with an open mind, compassion, and humility.
- A strong foundation in diversity, equity, and inclusion, including experience operationalizing DEI goals and actively engaging diverse perspectives across an organization.
- An understanding of Ed Alliances legacy as a Jewish organization and commitment to the core values that guide the agencys work.
COMPENSATION: Salary range $340,000 - $400,000, commensurate with experience.
LOCATION: 197 E Broadway New York, NY 10002
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume in confidence to EdAlliance@sandlersearch.org
$340,000 - $400,000
ABOUT THE CEO:
Ed Alliances next CEO will bring substantial, inspired leadership experience, including demonstrable success driving a complex, nonprofit organization and/or government department. The ideal candidate will understand and build on Ed Alliances commitment to being guided by Jewish values and its history as a pioneer in the settlement house movement. Further, the CEO will be dedicated to continuously improving agency offerings to best serve the diverse communities of Lower Manhattan. The CEO will also have experience with program and service delivery for culturally, socioeconomically, and generationally diverse populations.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary with the track record, passion, and authenticity to engage and motivate a large staff, Board members, donors, and community members around Ed Alliances mission and aspirational, long-term goals. The CEO will also be a strategic, decisive, and fiscally responsible executive who can develop, operationalize, and execute plans to achieve these overarching goals while maintaining state-of-art facilities and optimal program outcomes.
The CEO will be a collaborative, approachable, and empathetic manager who actively incorporates the skills and perspectives of staff and stakeholders. This individual will be an expert fundraiser, relationship-builder, and spokesperson who can effectively represent agency goals, needs, and impact to a wide range of constituents, including major donors and community partners. Knowledge of government contracts and the local philanthropic landscape, including the Jewish philanthropic arena is preferred. Experience managing a capital campaign is a plus.
Educational Alliance is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Educational Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.