Location and Job Title:
Art Specialist, CampJCC
Arthur M. Glick JCC of Indianapolis
6701 Hoover Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46260
Are you an Art Teacher in need of beautiful minds to shape this summer? Or maybe an Arts and Crafts Specialist who LOVES to help children create cherished keepsakes from summer camp? Do you love to see children learn while they create? To explore their creativity in fun and unique ways? The JCC Indianapolis is seeking an Art Specialist to join our summer camp team to be responsible for creating engaging and educational experiences and take-aways through art activities.
Note that this position requires a commitment for the entire camp season of June 1 - July 24 (plus orientation May 17, 22 & 31).
- Provide instruction, develop, and deliver art activities that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the campers' age and abilities;
- Highlight Jewish values and culture through fun and engaging art activities;
- Proactively identify and respond appropriately to camper behavioral issues;
- Proactively include and involve Assistant Director in any problems, camper issues, etc.;
- Plan all lesson at least one week in advance;
- Assist with opening and closing inventory of all related supplies;
- Attend all mandatory camp meetings and staff training events;
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities (include those outside of your immediate purview);
- Perform other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description (ie, carpool drop off/pick up, snack distribution, etc.);
- Model the behavior you expect of campers, counselors and leadership team;
- Exemplify JCC Internal Service standards of respect, gratitude, communication, the golden rule, and ownership/accountability.
Position Competencies for Success
- The ability to work effectively with others in all levels of the organization in a professional manner;
- Positive attitude & reliable, on-time attendance;
- Commitment to the growth and development of youth;
- Commitment to producing consistent, high-quality work;
- Excellent judgment, ability to identify problems and works quickly to find solutions;
- Patient, caring and creative;
- Flexible, adaptive and a team player;
- Desire to make a difference in the life of a child.
Qualifications and Skills
- Previous experience working with children, examples include but are not limited to; teaching, classroom assistant, academic/athletic tutoring, camp counselor, youth volunteer
- Previous camp counselor/teaching experience (preferred)
- Certification in education and/or art education a plus
Physical Demands & Working Environment
- Tasks involve the ability to exert moderate physical effort which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 75 lbs), bending stooping, stretching, squatting and sitting;
- Must possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers;
- Must have visual and auditory ability to keep track of multiple campers and to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities;
- Effective and clear communication is essential between campers and staff;
- Noise level can be moderate to loud;
- Frequent exposure to outside elements, such as sun exposure, heat, humidity and rain;
- Must be able to perform essential program support for camp activities which may include: standing for long periods of time; walking outdoors extended distances; traverse some uneven and/or hilly terrain; swim and/or be exposed to chlorinated water & sun screen.
- Must have the ability to physically manage and support children when necessary for safety during camp activities (children weighing 50 - 150 lbs.).
over 100 years, members of the Indianapolis community have enjoyed a diverse
range of services for all ages and interests at the JCC Indianapolis. With
recreational, educational and social programs and facilities that include a
fitness center, water park, therapy pool, early childhood education center, art
gallery, indoor tennis center, basketball courts and more, you can't help
but find something to love at the JCC Indianapolis. For more information,