You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
Mental Health Youth Therapist
Edith & Carl Marks JCH of Bensonhurst
7802 Bay Pkwy
Brooklyn, NY 11214
The Mental Health Youth Therapist is responsible to provide intake and assessments, short-term therapy/counseling and support services for adolescents and their families. This is an opportunity to work as part of a dynamic youth staff team, providing services to a broad spectrum of clients, with a focus on the Russian-speaking community. The Mental Health Youth Therapist will be familiar with other services and resources in the community and work closely with them to provide referrals, information and support when required.
- Assess the clients' individual mental health needs through a thorough intake process, and through review of client information, observation, and collaboration with other staff members to develop short-term treatment plans.
- Conduct additional family unit assessments as needed and refer clients or family members to internal or community resources.
- Counsel clients, individually and in group sessions; provide short-term mental health interventions.
- Act as a client advocate to coordinate required services or to manage through crisis situations.
- Guide tweens and teens in the development of skills and strategies for dealing with their challenges, focusing on the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Create strategies to work with teens from Russian speaking families that focus on the cultural disconnect between teens and their parents; help open the lines of communication and create stronger support systems in immigrant homes.
- Plan and conduct community education programs, as needed (e.g. substance abuse, eating disorders, healthy relationships, social media awareness, etc.).
- Conduct outreach and referral activities in Bensonhurst and surrounding communities, with a specific focus on Russian-speaking families.
- Evaluate program effectiveness and clients' progress in resolving identified problems and moving towards defined objectives.
- Incorporate current research on adolescent development amid the pandemic and emerging best practices in programming.
- MA, PsyD or PhD degree in Psychology or School Psychology
- New York State license or certification in mental health
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a community setting
- Have excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Bilingual English/Russian preferred; cultural competency with the RSJ community required
- Proficiency in designing and running group programming
To apply email email@example.com
The Marks Jewish Community House of Bensonhurst (JCH) is located in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. The
mission of the Marks JCH is to be a center for community life in Brooklyn that is rooted in Jewish values
and fosters an inclusive environment. We help at every life stage by providing critical services that lift
people out of poverty and innovative programs that educate and inspire our community members. We
envision a community where people have access to the services they need to live successful and
rewarding lives and where Jewish identity is preserved and celebrated. Marks JCH prides itself on its 360- degree holistic service model, providing services for the whole family.