Location and Job Title:
Afterschool and Enrichment Program Director
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
As part of the Youth and Family Programs team, the Afterschool and Enrichment Program Director is responsible for developing and managing the Youth and Teen Programs at the Bender JCC including, but not limited to, Kids After School and Class Compliment. The Director is responsible for all administrative aspects of the program, managing staff, determining students needs and interests, overseeing operations, and building relationships with families and the community. As part of the Youth and Family Programs team, the Youth and Teens Program Director is responsible for developing and managing the Youth and Teen Programs at the Bender JCC including, but not limited to, Kids After School and Class Compliment. The Director is responsible for all administrative aspects of the program, managing staff, determining students needs and interests, overseeing operations, and building relationships with families and the community.
Essential Functions of the Position:
Day-to-day operation of the Kids After School Program including Class Compliment (add a few words about what this is), and Youth Enrichments (such as music lessons, homework, etc.). Articulate a vision for creating a substantive after school experience for school aged children.
- Supervise the day-to-day functioning of the program
- Create and implement curriculum and program planning
- Maintain necessary supplies, equipment, etc.
- Communicate regularly with parents regarding enrollment, childrens individual needs, etc.
- Create and monitor Youth and After School Budget
- Work with the Marketing Department to develop marketing and communication material to recruit participants for the programs
- Create and manage administrative documents including registration rosters, program plans, staffing lists and other documents needed according to deadlines.
- Recruit, hire, train, mentor, supervise and retain staff to carry out the work and activities of the department
- Arrange for substitute staff as needed
- Meet with staff to oversee curriculum planning, staff performance, problems, and/or commendations
- Coordinate staff training and other staff activities
- Oversee the licensing of The After School Program from the Maryland State Department of Education
- Maintain state standards in program and staff facility
- Maintain staff personnel files
- Maintain staff/student ratio
- Coordinate the scheduling and preparation of weekend party rentals
- Hire and train staff to run the programming
- Work within a budget to purchase materials and supplies in preparation of each party
Afterschool enrichment classes and Teen programming:
- Oversee afterschool enrichment classes
- Hire and train staff, coordinate supply purchasing, and payment of vendors and independent contractors
- Create additional Youth and Teen Programs to enhance the offerings at the Bender JCC.
- Ensure a safe and supervised process for children to arrive at program.
- Coordinate inclusion program staffing with the Inclusion Program Director
- Contribute as a team member to the programs in the Youth and Family Programs department
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned
- Physical ability to interact with children and ensure their safety, including, but not limited to sitting on the floor, moving around a playground, and standing/swimming in the pool
- May be exposed to all weather conditions.May be required to work in various temperatures within the facility and outside
- Must be able to list a minimum of 25lbs
- Ability to communicate verbally with supervisor, staff, parents and children
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced program
- Ability to communicate with families including answering program inquiries, sending registration confirmations to those registered and following up on required forms and payments within required timeframes.
- Ability to organize work programs, documents and work space
- Ability to multi task multiple programs and prioritize workload
- Knowledge and ability to set goals, supervise and evaluate staff
- Ability to set and meet deadlines, and recognize and communicate when additional assistance is needed
- Knowledge and experience working with children in an informal educational environment
- Computer skills including but not limited to, Microsoft Office, Campminder, Salesforce and email.
- Must be available to work (occasional?) evenings and weekends
Educational or Certification Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree is required - Master's Degree is preferred
- Have/obtain Director level certifications to be the Director of Record for a Maryland Child Care center within 3 months of employment
- Must maintain CPR and first aid certifications
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Bender JCC
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Bender JCC including its Personnel Handbook, and ability to abide by them
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing