Location and Job Title:
Early Childhood/Preschool Assistant Teacher
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
1125 College Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
Hours: Monday through Friday: 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the lead teacher in providing appropriate infant / toddler education experiences with an emphasis on implementing the JCC Jewish curriculum, Creative Curriculum, and Step Up to Quality Standards in the classrooms.
- Assume the role of lead teacher in the absence of the lead teacher.
- Assist in providing and supervising activities which promote the emotional, social, intellectual and physical development of each infant / toddler.
- Assist in arrangement and upkeep of classroom & classroom equipment and materials.
- Help the lead teacher as they document and write assessments on the infants / toddlers in the classroom.
- Report and discuss any problems with infants / toddlers or class management to the lead teacher.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding children and families.
- Supervise all activities to insure safety of each infant / toddler at all times, complete incident reports and communicate information to lead teacher and director.
- Greet each infant / toddler and parent warmly and in a friendly manner each morning upon arrival.
- Work with parents to promote understanding of growth and development of their infant / toddler and to assist head teacher in a mid-year parent conference.
- Participate in Jewish learning opportunities as provided by supervisor and other JCC staff. Use the Judaic curriculum as a guideline for Jewish learning in the classroom and in lesson plans.
- Participate actively in specialty classes.
- Attend week of in-service training prior to the start of the school year and Teacher In-Service Day in February.
- Attend day and evening staff meetings as required by director.
- Attend special events, programs, and meetings as called upon by supervisor during or after school hours (for example: Curriculum Night, Meet the Teacher, Family Shabbat Dinners, ECE Family Picnic, Art Show, and holiday programs). Dates will be communicated to staff at least three weeks in advance.
- Staff working during nap time in the classroom are required to use the quiet time while infants / toddlers are sleeping for classroom related work such as: Newsletters, changing bulletin boards, cleaning counter tops, toys, etc.
- Naptime is allocated for JCC work not personal business.
- Staff may not sleep, doze or meditate during classroom naptime.
- Maintain a professional demeanor.
- Maintain neat and clean appearance.
- Respect all co-workers; work with other staff members in a cooperative manner.
- Follow personnel policies of the JCC of GC and represent the JCC in a manner befitting a professional educator.
- Maintain scheduled hours in a timely manner; notify preschool office in the event of absence.
- Submit all necessary forms and certificates related to licensing requirements in advance of the school year and on demand.
- No PERSONAL CELL PHONE usage (including texting) during work hours.
- Facebook, My Space & any internet type personal accounts may not contain information or pictures about children at the JCC, the JCC, or work related issues with other staff or the JCC.
- Festival Days: 5/21/18 (new hire 6/1/17 + work all)
- Expected to work 3 of the 5 Festival Days
- If the Festival Day is a Holiday as defined by the JCC Handbook, staff working the Festival Day will receive Holiday Pay ( if eligible for Holiday Pay) for hours regularly scheduled and wages for hours actually worked.
- Teachers observing these religious Holidays are not required to work Festival Days.
- All other duties as assigned.
1. Knowledge and Education - Minimum Required or Preferred: High School Diploma (or GED); some post high school education in early childhood development or similar field preferred.
2. Experience - Minimum Required or Preferred: Previous experience working with young children; two years minimum preferred.
3. Special skills - Sincerely enjoy and value children and their education; able to safely lift 25 pounds.
Located at the New Albany location.
The JCC is conducting a search for a Part time (3pm-6pm Monday through Friday) ECE ASSISTANT INFANT / TODDLER TEACHER. The Assistant Teacher reports to the JCC Early Childhood Site Director. A high school diploma or equivalent degree is required; some post high school education in early childhood development or a similar field is preferred. We are searching for an individual that has previous experience working with young children; two years minimum preferred. ECE Assistant Teachers sincerely enjoy and value children and their education. They are able to safely lift up to 25 pounds. The successful candidate must demonstrate knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices for young children; good oral and written communication skills; the ability to work constructively with both children and adults, and a professional and positive demeanor. The Assistant Teacher works with the lead teacher to execute a program of developmentally appropriate early childhood educational experiences that include art, music, movement, math, science and language with an emphasis on implementing the JCC Jewish Curriculum, Creative Curriculum, and Step Up to Quality Standards. Interested and qualified applicants should send a cover letter and a resume to: E-mail: Careers@ColumbusJCC.org.
Mission Statement: The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus is a human service agency offering a varied program that is Jewish in nature. It is committed to enhancing the quality of individual and family life through the promotion of physical, intellectual and spiritual wellness. It provides educational and cultural programs that reflect the Jewish heritage, health related activities and many services to the community at large. Through its wide array of programs, the JCC pursues its mission of strengthening the individual, family and community. Revised by the Board of Trustees on April 16, 2012 Vision Statement: The JCC nurtures a passion for Jewish learning and living. Through programs and services, the JCC provides comfortable and inviting environments in which the community can thrive. Revised by the Board of Trustees on April 16, 2012