Location and Job Title:
Counselor Advocate, HSCS- Benjamin Cardozo High School (FT)
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
Within our framework of a holistic, strength-focused, and family-supported practice, an individual hired as Social Worker in the NYSED program portfolio of services will report directly to the Senior Director, High School & College Success and/or Program Coordinator.
- Establish a rapport with all program participants. Assist them in identifying their educational and career goals; help them to formulate future plans.
- Implement and conduct workshops on work readiness, career development, life skills, and student enrichment.
- Recruit students; and conduct intake assessments and interviews.
- Monitor the attendance, academic, and career progress of participants on assigned caseload.
- Provide interpersonal group and individual counseling.
- Provide necessary referrals and connections to community resources.
- Provide support to participant's families and deliver a holistic approach to overcoming and eliminating barriers.
- Work in a collaborative team, including participation in staff meetings, contractor meetings, and staff development in order to support student progress.
- Monitor and document student progress in various service areas (guidance and counseling, academic support, life skills, work readiness, college access and employment).
- Conduct daily attendance and participation outreach to ensure success in all required program areas.
- Assist with the recruitment of program participants annually and help to complete the enrollment and intake process.
- Participate in ongoing professional case conferences, schedule site-based training as well as staff meetings, with agendas and attendance sheets.
- Conduct regular visits to sites to provide participant support and to keep track of engagement.
- Engage in school leadership meetings and youth development team meetings to help support appropriate referral streams and supports for students.
- Provide workshops for students and families on nancial aid and the college choice and application process to inform and to attain their support for a college option.
- Provide information on nancial aid and planning and assistance with FAFSA and scholarship applications, as well as applications to SEEK, EOP, HEOP and College Discovery programs.
- Monitor and provide assistance with college choice, exploration and completion of college applications in a timely manner.
- Participate in regular meetings with school-based and agency staff on college and career readiness.
- Participate in staff training and meetings, including school retreats, Division meetings and professional development.
- Provide continued outreach and tracking to ensure positive outcomes for program participants upon graduation.
- Option to work summer months with our Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Master's Degree in Psychology, Social Work, School Counseling, or related course of study required.
- At least five (3) years' experience working with adolescents in an urban environment providing services that reduce barriers and facilitate educational success and social emotional wellbeing.
- At least five (3) years' experience providing outcomes oriented supervision and professional development to a team of youth development specialists.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong rapport with an urban adolescent population and their families.
- Familiarity with various test prep and social emotional learning curricula.
- Familiarity with NYS high school graduation requirements and experience with the college application and financial aid application processes.
- SIFI certification/eligibility preferred
Commonpoint Queens reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Commonpoint Queens is a equal opportunity employers/programs. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and r?sum?, as a Word or PDF document only, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate "Counselor Advocate- Benjamin Cardozo" in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
45,000 - 55,000
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.