Location and Job Title:
Chief Operating Officer
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
Do you want to use your exceptional leadership skills for the greater good? Do you excel in building a high-functioning, satisfied team? Would you thrive on creating diverse, transformational programs for all ages? The position of Chief Operating Officer (COO) will report to the CEO and play a critical role in internal operations. The COO will develop and maintain internal systems, policies, and procedures in areas ranging from facilities and customer service to personnel and technology. The ideal candidate is a creative, efficient, strategic problem solver with fantastic interpersonal and business skills.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Manage employee relations and oversee policies and procedures for a staff of 40-100 (depending on season).
- Maintain regulatory oversight and compliance for preschool and afterschool.
- Create strong culture and sense of community among staff.
- Work closely with the CEO to run all-staff and manager/director meetings.
- Work with Director of Operations to design and implement professional development opportunities.
- Oversee union negotiations for Berkeley facility.
- Director of Early Childhood Education
- Director of Operations
- Director of Afterschool Programs
- Director of Youth and Teen Programs
- Oversee management and security, including development and implementation of policies and procedures, for all program locations.
- Assist with future planning for planned expansion.
- Work closely with the CEO and CFO to manage $4-6 million annual budget.
- Play an integral role in business planning and budget development, with emphasis on fee-based programs.
- Support CFO in implementing accounting and payroll policies and procedures as appropriate.
Program and Community Relations
- Work with program directors to identify and meet financial benchmarks.
- Help develop strategies to grow participation in programs.
- Participate in strategic planning process.
- Ensure excellent customer service for visitors, community members, and rental operations.
- Identify and advance strategic programmatic opportunities and partnerships.
- Contribute to the JCC's positive reputation.
- Provide general oversight for smooth internal operations.
- With CFO, manage legal activities, and contracts.
- Develop and implement efficient and effective operating policies and procedures.
- Help develop reporting mechanisms for Board and CEO.
- Support and advise the CEO in decision-making.
- Provide excellent leadership and serve as a model to others.
- Support development activities as appropriate.
- Function as spokesperson for the organization when the CEO is unavailable.
- Other duties as determined by the CEO.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 7 years of senior-level operations experience, particularly in the areas of human resources; facilities management; information technology; organizational development; and contract negotiation.
- Experience working in a nonprofit and/or educational institution.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications.
- Commitment to the mission of the JCC East Bay.
- Comfortable executing both high-level strategic and day-to-day administrative tasks.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to motivate small but mighty teams.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and projects.
- Proven experience in customer service and community relations.
- Familiarity with Jewish culture and tradition preferred.
- Available for evening and/or weekend meetings as needed.
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering physical gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community.