Location and Job Title:
Jewish Silicon Valley / Addison-Penzak JCC
14855 Oka Road
Los Gatos, CA 95032
Position: Chief Financial Officer
Classification: At-Will, Full time, Exempt, fully benefited position
Reports to:Reports to CEO
About Jewish Silicon Valley:
Jewish Silicon Valley is the agency that resulted from the February 2021 merger between the Jewish Federation of Silicon Valley, LLC and the Addison-Penzak JCC. Our mission is to harness the power of community to improve lives, build bridges of understanding, and strengthen the Jewish people here, in Israel, and around the world. JSV's key focus areas are:
- programs that improve people's lives Jewishly, with a focus on Youth & Family Engagement, Jewish Life & Culture, Healthy Aging and Health & Wellness.
- community building and leadership development, through partnerships with local Jewish and other community agencies to foster collaboration, empower community leaders, inspire the next generation, and build bridges of understanding.
- philanthropy development to provide annual and long-term support for local Jewish organizations and Jewish communal needs locally, nationally, in Israel and around the world.
Jewish Silicon Valley welcomes people of every background and belief to participate in all of our activities, and we work with Jewish organizations and others throughout the Silicon Valley community, creating opportunities for all of us to build relationships that transcend differences and foster a sense of unity. Through the outreach work of the Jewish Community Relations Council, and our many inclusive programs, Jewish Silicon Valley is helping to end antisemitism and bias in our community. Our vision is to ensure a vibrant Jewish community in Silicon Valley and promote the well-being of all people by providing visionary leadership, philanthropic support, and meaningful programs and experiences that are rooted in Jewish values and traditions.
Please visit our website at www.jvalley.org for more information.
Summary of Job Description:
A key member of the Executive Leadership Team, the Chief Financial Officer will report directly to the CEO and assume a strategic role in the overall management and growth of Jewish Silicon Valley. The CFO will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of JSV. This will include direct oversight of our Finance Department (accounting, budgeting, forecasting, investments) and our Business Operations Department (human resources, insurance, legal, IT). The CFO will work collaboratively with the CEO and philanthropy team to help cultivate institutional and donor relationships, as well as working with the Operations Department to support our facilities management function on behalf of the Levy Family Campus. The CFO will play a critical role at this exciting juncture in our organization's trajectory, as we begin to:
- invest in our facility through a Capital Campaign to expand our aquatics center;
- prepare to expand our community foundation model through increased DAF and endowment investment opportunities for our donors; and
- develop new ways to meet our community's evolving needs as we move out of the pandemic
- review efficacy of and consider replacement of CRM and donor management systems
The ideal candidate possesses strong leadership skills, a record of successful financial management, understanding of back-office operations, and the ability to build trusting relationships with staff, volunteers and philanthropic supporters.
- Provide leadership in the creation, coordination, and evaluation of the financial operations and supporting information systems of JSV, including financial reporting, budgeting, financial planning, and internal controls.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal fiscal guidelines.
- Oversee the approval and processing of revenues, expenditures, departmental budgets, general ledger, and account maintenance and data entry.
- Coordinate the preparation and review of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses, and tax returns.
- Direct the preparation and review of the annual forecasting and budgeting process for all JSV departments and initiatives.
- Coordinate the annual independent audit of JSV including consolidating financial statements and reviewing audited financial statements for proper disclosures.
- Knowledge of special accounting and tax regulations relating to not-for-profit accounting.
- Provide leadership, direction, and efficiencies for all investment accounting.
- Serve as liaison to Investment and Finance Committees and provide general oversight of donor investment activities, including Donor Advised Fund and Endowment management.
- Provide Board information and reporting for all financial matters for JSV.
- Oversee all contractual obligations of JSV.
LEAD OPERATIONAL SUPPORT
- Work with Sr. Management Team on achieving JSV's strategic priorities including ensuring the long-term fiscal health of JSV.
- Provide staff supervision of Finance and Business Operations Departments
- Oversee Information Technology Systems to ensure that systems are appropriate and functioning adequately and include appropriate levels of internal controls while safeguarding all critical data.
- Oversee, review and maintain Finance and Business Operations policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal control safeguards.
- Analyze cash flows, cost controls, and expenses to guide the JSV Board of Directors and its Finance Committee.
- Manage Financial Services provided to the Levy Family Campus and work with Operations Department to develop LFC budgets and quarterly reports.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and relationship building skills in a not-for-profit and/or for profit environment
- Experience in a senior level finance or accounting position in a not-for-profit and/or for profit environment
- Bachelor's and/or Master's Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- Experience in financial planning and financial forecasting.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles, internal controls, cash management and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and cash flow projections.
- Proficient written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Board level experience (volunteer or other) interacting with lay leadership. Ability to participate in and facilitate committee meetings.
- Self-aware, critical thinker with attention to short/mid/long-term goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to communicate and manage at all levels of the organization staff, volunteers & donors.
- Strong problem-solving skills with sound judgment. Makes timely decisions based on accurate and relevant analyses.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
Working Conditions/Physical requirements:
The working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to:
- Work in a Fitness Center/Community Center and typical business office environment
- Ability to sit for long periods.
- Extensive Computer and some telephone work.
- Ability to lift/carry 25 lbs.
- Typical Business hours Monday through Friday with occasional need to complete after hours and weekends to complete specific projects
- *Work in the vicinity of children and older adults
While performing the duties of this job, the work environment can be noisy and you may be working in close proximity with others. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as phones, computers and printers.
This position is contingent upon the return of a *clear LiveScan Background Check, verified positive employment reference, and submission of proof of full Covid-19 vaccination including booster dose if eligible (subject to qualified legal exemption with weekly testing requirement).
$165,000 - $180,000
Amenities include fitness center, heated pool, children's pool, lighted tennis courts, full gymnasium, event auditorium and meeting rooms, athletic field, physical therapy clinic, free parking, acclaimed preschool for ages 18 months-5 years, day camp, recreation program for children with special needs, birthday parties, Center for Jewish Life & Learning, holiday celebrations, Judaica and Hebrew classes, enrichment classes on a variety of topics for all ages, sports programs for children and adults. Event rentals available.