Location and Job Title:
Toddler Teacher, Bender ECC
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
Position Summary: Preschool Toddler Associate Teacher for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Meeting all Bender JCC and Maryland State Department of Education licensing requirements.
- Accepting the supervision, direction and mentoring by the lead teacher and Preschool Leadership Supporting daily plans under the direction of the lead teacher and coordinating with other support staff who may work in the classroom.
- Taking a leadership role when the lead teacher is absent
- Supporting the educational experience of the students and their families in line with the school philosophy.
- Incorporating Jewish content into the curriculum.
- Using documentation to plan with the lead teacher and follow through with on those plans as well as those provided by the lead teacher.
- Communicating with the lead teacher concerning incidents and issues in the classroom.
- Being familiar with student files which include student allergies, health issues which may impact the classroom, and family situations.
- Participating in school set-up prior to opening day and school clean up at the end of the year.
- Attending to the personal hygiene of students, as needed, including, but not limited to, changing soiled clothes and diapers.
- Ensuring the safety of each child, such as ensuring each child is in the care of an authorized adult.
- Taking part in the daily clean-up of the classroom, which includes but is not limited to, putting all toys and equipment away, making sure all food items are wrapped and put away in accordance to licensing and wiping down the tables and chairs. In addition, the refrigerator and freezer is to be checked weekly to remove old or unwanted items.
- ? Preparing snacks for the classroom and maintaining the kitchen areas neat and clean, as well as, cubbies, hallways and playground.
- Attendance at the ECC Open House Brunch, Back to School Night, staff meetings, and other school events beyond school hours as determined by the ECC Director. In addition, you must participate in at least one Center-wide program, such as Chanukah, Purim or Good Deeds Day.
- Completing and submitting all necessary employment and licensing paperwork within the established timeframes. Leaving the school during the work day without prior permission of the ECC Director; solicitation of gratuities; striking or verbally abusing a child; sexual misconduct; possession, use or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol; or other misconduct while at work or during work-related responsibilities are unacceptable, and are just causes for disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Physical ability to insure the safety and care of the children, including, but not limited to, lifting, carrying and chasing children.
- Meeting the physical requirements of the job as outlined in the Bender JCC Preschool Staff Handbook.
- Ability to stand in adult and wading pool to supervise swimming if on staff during the summer months.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Strong written and spoken language skills; Strong interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of best practice in Early Childhood education and a commitment to continued education.
- Openness to feedback from colleagues and administrators.
Educational Degree(s), Professional Degree(s), or Certificate(s) Required:
- First Aid and CPR training and certification required within 90 days of hire
- Supporting Breastfeeding
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Basic Health and Safety
- 4-year College Degree in early childhood education
- 90-hour certificate in early childhood curriculum & growth & development and 45-hour certificate in infant/toddler care (curriculum)*
* If you do not have the 45-hour certificate in infant/toddler care, you must begin the class during your first 6 months of employment and complete it with a passing grade within the first year of employment.
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Bender JCC. Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Bender JCC, including its Personnel Handbook, and to abide by them. Work in a team environment. Communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned
- Observe and enforce the Bender JCC's kashrut policy.
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.