Location and Job Title:
Marketing and Communications Manager
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The Marketing and Communications Manager reports to the Chief Executive Officer and will produce multiple weekly email newsletters; communicate across all departments; design, write, and edit marketing collateral; manage website and social media; and help support the overall JCC brand. This person will promote awareness and understanding of the JCC, driving enrollment and participation in educational and public programs for all ages. The ideal candidate is a creative, efficient, strategic problem solver with fantastic interpersonal, organizational, and customer-service skills.
- Develop and manage JCC East Bay's social media strategy. Implement tactics to increase the number of followers, deepen engagement across platforms, and drive increased inbound traffic to the website.
- Participate in annual budget development, and lead design of annual marketing plan.
- Promote JCC East Bay events: post to online calendars, social media outlets, share with community partners, and manage the distribution of print and digital flyers.
- Foster community through highly developed, intellectually appealing, culturally relevant, and creative materials and communications for audiences of all ages.
- Elevate the JCC East Bay brand through a deep understanding of the customer and community.
- Design, direct, and execute comprehensive, innovative brand marketing and communication strategies that increase program growth and revenue.
- Collaborate cross-departmentally across the organization to ensure that the brand is consistently and accurately represented at all community and member touch points.
- Maintain and develop relationships with other organizations and partners for outreach and cross-promotion.
- Manage website to ensure information is always current, accurate, relevant, and compelling.
- Write, produce, or edit high-quality weekly email newsletters for school-aged programs and the general community, and evaluate their performance.
- Identify, research, and promote unique stories about the JCC, its programs, and people.
- Develop the organization's marketing and communications calendar of both internal and external communications, events, and marketing projects.
- Build and maintain media outreach lists and contacts, and identify potential media opportunities.
- Create print and digital materials for programs and events using established style guide.
- Manage outside vendors for larger projects (printer, mail house, designer, photographer, etc.).
- Support development-related communications for printing/mailing, online, and social media.
- Develop evaluation tools and metrics to assess the effectiveness of current tools and methods, and identify areas for improvement.
- Attend JCC programs and events to deepen understanding of programs, services, and audience.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, participants, and donors.
- Other duties as determined by the CEO.
- 2+ years of professional communications and/or marketing experience.
- Ability to perform at a high level in a fast-paced team environment, and manage multiple projects to meet timelines and deadlines.
- Proactive behavior with leadership and consensus building skills.
- Experience developing metrics to measure the effectiveness of marketing initiatives.
- Understanding of effective digital content (SEO, online ads, etc.).
- Demonstrated success in using writing to engage key audiences.
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Experience with e-mail marketing platforms such as Constant Contact.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products, experience with Adobe Illustrator, In Design, Photoshop, and Canva a plus.
- Photography and video skills a plus.
- Experience working in a nonprofit and/or educational institution.
- Commitment to the mission of the JCC East Bay and knowledge of the Jewish community, values, and traditions.
- Proven ability to set/manage timelines and goals.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to motivate small but mighty teams.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and projects.
- Proven experience in customer service and community relations.
- Available for evening and/or weekend programs and meetings as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Salary information will be shared one-on-one with candidates. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.
If asked for an interview, candidates will need to submit a writing and production/design sample.
ABOUT THE JCC EAST BAY
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering physical and virtual gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community.