Location and Job Title:
Vice President of Development - JCC Greater Boston
JCC Greater Boston
333 Nahanton St
Newton, MA 02459
JCC Greater Boston (JCC), a forward-thinking leader among Jewish Community Centers nationally, and one the largest Jewish organizations in New England, seeks a proactive, creative and collaborative team player to serve as its Vice President for Development. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the VP serves as a member of the Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for all internal and external activities related to philanthropic support for JCC Greater Boston. These activities include identification and cultivation of prospects, stewardship of ongoing donors, annual and special donor solicitation, foundation and other grant requests, as well as communication with all key stakeholders. This role requires a well-rounded and experienced Development professional who blends strong relationship building, innovation, strategic planning and outstanding execution.
The JCC's pre-pandemic operating budget was $25 million. The 2020 budget contracted significantly reflecting the necessary move from in person programming to virtual offerings. The budget continues to adjust upward in 2021 and is expected to return to pre-pandemic revenue targets by 2023.
- Provides vision and leadership in creating Development's strategic direction. Manages implementation of plans and programs that enhance fundraising efforts and the culture of philanthropy at the JCC.
- Ensures a culture where effective teamwork, collaboration, and innovation are expected, recognized and rewarded; leads by example with regard to appropriate risk-taking, cross organizational cooperation, and clear standards of conduct.
- Oversees the hiring, managing, and mentoring of a five person Development staff to build an effective and stable team who achieve significant and individually quantifiable goals. Manages consultants for capital campaign and special projects, as needed.
- Establishes performance measures, monitors results, and evaluates the effectiveness of the Development team, including individual and overall performance relating to fundraising.
- Ensures efficient operational and data systems to support all Development activities and ensures exceptional customer service to all donors and prospects.
Fundraising and Resource Development
- Oversees and sets the direction and strategy of fund development for the organization, including annual and capital campaigns, major gift programs, fundraising events, third-party fundraising activities, corporate and foundation giving, and planned giving.
- Oversees strategy and execution for donor engagement to the JCCs annual, capital and planned giving efforts.
- Partners with President/CEO, Leadership Team, and Board to deepen existing funder relationships. Identifies and cultivates new supporters.
- Builds, manages, and personally solicits a portfolio of major gift prospects.
- Coordinates the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for all members of the Development team and others, assisting these efforts. Coordinates and attends other donor meetings, as needed.
- Sets and leads the successful achievement of fundraising goals for annual operations assigned to each member of the department and the organization as a whole.
- Oversees the grant writing, grant management, foundation prospect identification and engagement, and corporate sponsorship activities to expand JCC sources of revenue.
- Advises and consults with the President/CEO and Board of Directors on matters related to fundraising and philanthropy; maintains effective working relationships with the Board of Directors, staff members, volunteers, individual donors, foundations, corporations and program partners.
- Oversees the preparation and management of the annual department budget and Development reports.
- Partners with the Finance and Accounting staff to sustain efficient, effective and transparent financial tracking and reporting processes that support the JCC's development efforts.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of annual major donor events including, but not limited to, the Gala and Golf Tournament events.
- Coordinates with and assists other departments who are pursuing grants by sharing grant writing and grant applications expertise.
Leadership Role as a Member of the Senior Staff
- Contributes to the overall leadership of JCC Greater Boston by serving as a member of the Senior Leadership Team and by role modeling organizational values and other desirable behaviors. Develops effective, collegial relationships with JCC staff.
- Attends Board meetings and Board committee meetings to report and collaborate on Development activities as needed, in coordination with the CEO and other Senior Leadership Team members. Provides information, as needed, to Board members on donor cultivation and fundraising strategies and techniques.
- Works with the President/CEO to ensure Board members are energized by their work on behalf of the JCC and their association with the organization.
- In collaboration with the President/CEO, co-staffs the Governance and Leadership Development Committee. Cultivates volunteer pipelines for the Board and other key committees.
- Works closely with the President/CEO, Board, senior leadership and staff to develop and strengthen the overall goals and priorities of the JCC. The VP serves as a key strategist for the organization.
- The VP serves on the broader Leadership Team, and works on other committees and projects.
- Collaborates with the Marketing team to plan and oversee all development and donor related publications. Ensures consistent messaging and branding in all print and online donor and stakeholders' materials.
- In collaboration with the President/CEO, serves as an ambassador for the organization, as needed. Articulates the JCC mission to external constituents, partner organizations, and potential funders. May include attending outside events.
- Bachelor's degree required; Masters' degree preferred.
- Requires extensive professional experience and demonstrated success in nonprofit development and fundraising field. Must have at least 5 years of experience in a senior development position.
- Campaign experience and proven record of accomplishment in achieving major gifts fundraising goals. Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a comprehensive development plan and meet targets; as well as carrying out day-to-day fundraising responsibilities. Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Experience managing a high achieving Development team.
- Exceptional organization and project management skills.
- Proven research abilities including data analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing skills.
- Outstanding relationship building/networking skills including the ability to successfully navigate complex dynamics and build long lasting relationships with donors, volunteer and community leaders, peers and staff.
- Able to build a dynamic and high performing team, which makes working for the JCC a pleasure.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Familiar with the Greater Boston Jewish Community.
- Flexible and hard working.
- Creative and innovative.
- Aligned with the mission, vision and values of JCC Greater Boston.
- Must have reliable transportation and be licensed to drive in Massachusetts.
- Proficient in MS Office, Google business apps, and donor information systems.
- Flexible to work early mornings, evenings and weekends, as needed.
- You are a dynamic visionary and strategic planner who can also lead a team through realization of an organization's vision and plans.
- You are results oriented and driven to achieve stretch goals.
- You build strong relationships both within your workplace and throughout the community.
- You are an outstanding manager and develop/inspire your team's best efforts.
- You set high standards for yourself and your team.
- You are tech and data savvy.
- You enjoy using your analytic, planning, interpersonal and operational skills to achieve organizational goals.
- You are creative, flexible and committed to continuous improvement both for the organization, the Development department and for yourself.
JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff and children very seriously. We have aligned all of our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC, DEEC (Department of Early Education and Care) and the local and state Departments of Public Health. Our practices include ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, and use of face coverings to promote the health of our staff and program participants. COVID safety training is mandatory for all staff.
Staff and participants are required to wear masks at all times. Group sizes are limited and JCC staff ensure compliance with state guidelines for social distancing. Participants and staff are encouraged to hand wash often and sanitizer is readily available. Common materials and surfaces are disinfected throughout the day. We conduct a health screen for all participants and staff upon entering our JCCGB buildings. This screening includes a questionnaire about symptoms and possible exposures as well as a temperature check.
JCC Greater Boston welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds who meet the requirements specified above. If you want to share your talents with a great team, co-creating a thriving, dynamic organization which is devoted to community building and lasting impact, please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
165,000 - 180,000
JCC is a nonprofit organization with roots in earlier Settlement Houses and Young Men's Hebrew Associations; JCC Greater Boston today offers a wide range of services and program activities throughout the Greater Boston region (~50,000 individuals annually in 98 communities). The organization provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: four preschools, three day camps, a regional model of Jewish family engagement, a fully equipped fitness and aquatic center, arts and culture classes, performances, lectures, and Jewish holiday celebrations.
The JCC is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston core values- Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation-which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
Our vision is to create a vibrant and evolving Jewish community where everyone belongs. Our mission is to be at the heart of that community by:
- creating a thriving community that nurtures meaningful and lasting relationships,
- welcoming a growing and increasingly diverse set of individuals and families from all over Greater Boston,
- supporting the building of unique identities rooted in Jewish values and deeper connections to Jewish life,
- nourishing minds, bodies, and spirits through dynamic, innovative, and accessible experiences, and
- expanding engagement by partnering closely with other organizations to ensure the continuing vitality of our community as whole.