Location and Job Title:
Director of Development
Jewish Community Alliance of Jacksonville
8505 San Jose Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32217
The Jewish Community Alliance (JCA) is one of Jacksonville's most prestigious non-profit community centers, offering a full gym, fitness center, and accredited preschool. It serves as a center of Jewish life and is open to all people within our community of Jacksonville, FL, with a membership of over 7,000 people, both Jewish and non-Jewish.
The Director of Development for the Jewish Community Alliance (JCA) reports to the CEO and will serve as a key member of the leadership team. This individual will work to provide focused leadership and vision for the team and play a crucial role in decisions on the JCA's future. The position will have direct supervisory role over the development staff as well as some key areas of administration at the JCA. The position will also have a significant role with the Board of Trustees of the agency.
Essential Job Functions
1. Vision, mission, and strategies
- Work with CEO and leadership team to develop a shared vision for the future of the organization, build a sustainable fundraising stream to support the current mission, and develop appropriate policies, programs, goals and long-range strategies to advance the revenues and varied funding sources for the JCA.
2. Actively engage with the CEO in co-creating and implementing a comprehensive strategic development plan for the JCA.
- Develop a systematic fundraising plan that includes both individual (community and major gift), institutional (business and foundation) targets and grants (foundations, government and corporate).
- Develop strong relationship with, and secure the trust of key funders, foundations, corporations, board members, staff, JCA Foundation directors/staff, influencers, community leaders and others critical to individual and institutional fundraising efforts.
- Develop an intentional stewardship plan including ongoing written, digital and in person communication.
- Direct annual giving campaigns.
- Provide guidance and leadership to development staff.
- Provide oversight, guidance and support to current events and departments requiring sponsorship.
- Create and implement a Planned Giving Program.
- Oversee the development of department's strategic and operational business plans. Knowledgeable about fundraising trends and donor analysis.
- Oversee department budgets and resource allocation management.
- Have final responsibility for employing, supervising, evaluating, and terminating department's staff.
- Partner with and support the senior management group.
3. Other Executive and Leadership functions
- Provide guidance and support to CEO and key volunteers with key solicitations and donor cultivation.
- Work with CEO and development staff on capital and endowment campaigns.
- Prepare and present development updates to Board and provide fundraising training to the board.
- Work with key Jewish Federation staff on collaborative fundraising and funding initiatives.
- Provide guidance to various board committees/task forces.
- Actively pursue innovative fundraising opportunities within the community while managing resource constraints. These innovative activities are accomplished by creating a development plan that strengthens our brand among donors and prospective donors, participating in collaborative relationships with appropriate organizations or agencies.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Other duties as might be deemed necessary to help in other areas of the agency.
- Past experience with a multifaceted non-profit organization is desirable.
- Experience in financial resource development and the demonstrated ability to build close relationships with the community.
- Most importantly, be able to foster the creation of a sustainable fundraising model along with the necessary department infrastructure.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Staff and donor management experience of a complex development department.
- Proven track record of successfully meeting fundraising goals.
- Knowledge of and ability to provide leadership and expertise in the areas of major gift solicitations, fundraising initiatives, annual giving campaigns, foundation and corporate relations, social media/e-fundraising, volunteer management and fundraising events.
- Demonstrated experience to prioritize based on opportunities, economic/philanthropic trends and agency goals. Able to synthesize complex ideas and activities into coherent and compelling narratives.
- Ability to manage simultaneous, multiple projects, establishing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage sideways, up and down effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills with people at all levels and in all settings relevant to the JCA mission.
- Strong writing ability.
- Ability to properly manage volunteers and large fundraising events.
- Exceptional leadership, management, supervision and motivational skills; functions well as the leader of a fully participative, engaged organization, fostering a trusting and respectful environment.
- Ability to relate to a highly diverse environment including the CEO, Board of Trustees, staff, neighborhood and community leaders, and volunteers. Interact with stakeholders with grace and respect.
- Ability to function productively in a fast-paced high-pressure environment, work independently and accept direction.
- Ability to work closely with other JCA departments.
- Encourage and promote accountability at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with diverse belief systems, values and cultures.
- Good judgment, discretion, confidentiality.
- Diplomacy and patience along with a sense of humor!
The Jewish Community Alliance (JCA) is a non-profit community center affiliated with the Jacksonville Jewish Federation, the United Way of Northeast Florida and the Jewish Community Centers of North America. Our mission is to contribute to the continuation of Jewish life and all people within our community of Jacksonville, FL, as well as provide a common meeting ground for everyone, and enhance the quality of life for all segments of the community to strengthen family life. The JCA is not solely for the Jewish community; we welcome all people from every different walks of life into our family here at the JCA to prosper and grow with us toward a better tomorrow.