Location and Job Title:
Senior Director, Camp
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (Byachad) We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh vHaGuf) We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
Camp JCC is one of our core programs, and the Camp Director is directly responsible for the overall operation, development and implementation of the camp and youth programs. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of our camp and youth program participants and staff.
The Camp Director reports to the Chief Program Officer, is a member of the Senior Management team, and works in partnership with other Center program areas.
- Ensure high quality and safe programs meeting or exceeding all local, state and accreditation standards
- Provide a high level of customer service to program participants, their families, and perspective users of the Center
- Direct, supervise, and implement program activities within the camp and youth department
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate camp and year round youth department staff
- Create and monitor department budgets
- Maintain proper paperwork for licensed and accredited camp and afterschool programs
- Work in collaboration with the Marketing/Communications department to create and implement a marketing plan
- Partner with Development Department to assist in the writing and reporting of grants
- Present program reports and work with board committees
- Cross promote programs within the Center
- Support the professional growth of supervised staff through regular performance reviews
- Manage outside vendors and consultants as required by the Center
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required
- In-person work required
- Experienced with inclusive camps. You have worked in and are passionate about camp settings designed for all participants, including medically and developmentally diverse populations.
- An excellent project manager. You know how to drive a high-level project from start to finish. You love setting the tone, making the plan, clarifying roles and mobilizing others to join you in systematically bringing a project to life.
- A self-starter. You are not afraid of ambiguity. You understand that it is your job to create the clarity you seek and you relish making order out of chaos.
- Comfortable managing up and laterally. You are comfortable managing up to senior leaders and helping them assess the feasibility of their big ideas, and you know how to advocate for your own ideas. You know how to create buy-in with your colleagues and spur them to action when needed.
- You believe that diversity is a strength. You account for the value of diversity in every aspect of your work and you understand the nuances of diversity that shape participants, parents, and staffs experiences. You bring knowledge of Jewish content and programs to all you do.
- Innovative and grounded. You love trying new things and devising creative solutions to persistent problems. Most importantly, you know how to make it happen.
- Passionate about the work. You are motivated by the mission of the Bender JCC and you have a deep connection and desire for this work to exist in the world.
- Savvy and Intuitive. You are adept at communicating ideas to a range of stakeholders and you know that different settings often require different methods and tools.
- Collaborative. You enjoy learning from and with talented colleagues and are excited to be part of the success of Camp JCC, J Club, and the whole organization.
You should have:
- At least 2 years experience as a day or resident camp director preferred
- At least 4 years supervisory experience preferred
- Minimum of a 4 year college degree
- Desire and ability to work in a team environment
- Required COVID-19 vaccination
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position, with a salary between $70k-$80k, commensurate with experience. The Bender JCC provides a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision benefits, and a flexible working environment. Youll also receive a full family membership to the Bender JCC, including complete access to the entire fitness facility and pools, plus staff discounts on programs and services.
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they feel that they meet 100% of the qualifications. If this role sounds interesting to you, we encourage you to apply! The Bender JCC is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
65,000 - 75,000
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.