Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Head Swim Team Coach will provide direct leadership, instruction, and motivation for the team members. The position includes organizing the swim team, communication with parents, assisting with conducting practices, motivating students, and instructing student athletes in game strategies and techniques. The Head Swim Team Coach must present an appearance and an image consistent with the Schenectady JCC. Must possess mature judgment and sound decision-making. Work hours will vary based on practice an swim meet times.
Responsibilities and Duties
1. Supervise swimmers during practices, meets and any other swim periods.
2. Teach proper stroke techniques while coaching.
3. Handles all swim meet preparation, including equipment set-up.
4. Distributes awards.
5. Leads daily practices.
6. Creates line-ups for all swim meets.
7. Assists with the preparation, operation and clean-up of home swim meets.
8. Works with the assistant coaches on time management, practice structure, award distribution procedures, record keeping for swimmers, and overall aptitude for coaching.
9. Works with all coaches on meet set-up, line-ups, creation of workouts, practice development, and awards.
10. Serves as the primary communicator to the Aquatic Director, assistant coaches, parents, and swimmers.
11. Attends and participates in coaches' meetings.
12. Records swimmers' meet results.
13. Coordinates swim meet volunteers for home swim meets.
14. Maintains a clean and organized work environment.
15. Performs the job in compliance with JCC policies, procedures, and work rules
16. Reports unusual maintenance problems or irregularities to the Aquatics Director or Building Maintenance. .
17. May need to perform additional duties as assigned by supervisors.
18. Perform all job tasks within the rules and guidelines of the JCC safety program, with specific attention to safe pool use during swim team periods.
19. Work as a Team Player with co-workers and in conjunction with other departments.
1. Must be at least 18 years of age.
2. Must be CPR certified or willing to get certified.
3. Minimum one year coaching experience.
1. Competitive swimming
2. Instruction of amateur swimmers
COGNITIVE CONSIDERATIONS: Must be able to follow directions and communicate in English verbally.
Must be able to read, write, and understand materials printed in English. Must possess good problem solving skills and have the capability to act rationally and calmly in all situations.
HOURS The hours will vary based on practice and meet times.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. This job description is to be used as a guideline to describe the current functions and requirements of the position. The job description may change at any time based on business needs and/or job reorganization.
We are an equal opportunity employer. As such, employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications and abilities.
25,000 - 35,000
Our mission is to build a vibrant, welcoming, and inclusive community that embraces our Jewish values, culture, identity and connections to Israel, engages the local community, and enhances the body, mind and spirit of our members.
Who We Are
The JCC is a thriving non-profit community center that welcomes the diverse populations of Schenectady, Albany and Saratoga Counties. Since 1921 the JCC's role has changed and expanded to reflect the times. Our staff is committed to providing members and guests with high quality programs and customer service. Included in a membership is the use of the fitness center, over 75 group and water fitness classes each week, lap and family swims, open gym use, adult swim lessons, family art and gym activities, a relaxation center complete with whirlpool, sauna and steam room, and discounts on fitness, social, and enrichment classes and programs.