Location and Job Title:
After School Inclusion Counselor
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
Position Summary: Responsible for the supervision and safety of inclusion student(s), and accommodating (both preparing and overseeing) activities for their inclusion students in the After School program within the guidelines set by the JCC.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Engage and supervise his/her participant in programs and activities
- Ability to creatively adapt and individualize activities to the specific needs of inclusion students
- Understand and implement the behavior plan specific for your student
- Utilize active supervision at all times
- Know how many participants are under your care and who they are at all times.
- Comply with and participate in the Maryland State Department of Education licensing requirements
- Work with team members to create programs to span multiple age groups, and to plan activities that ensure the success of inclusion students
- Attend and participate in all orientation sessions, staff meetings and trainings, any of which may take place outside of After School hours
- Be present at arrival and dismissal locations as scheduled
- Ensure all children have been picked up by an authorized adult or guardian
- Must have ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity
- Provide daily communication with inclusion students' parents concerning children's daily progress, special needs, and other pertinent information
- Ensure that inclusion student is brought for medications, as needed, and that appropriate medications are taken with group on any off site activities, if required for that student
- Must be with group at all times when appropriate
- Keeping required attendance records and reports on the children in the program (attendance, incident)
- Readying snacks for the student(s).
- Encouraging the use of Jewish content in the curriculum
- Ability to engage with participants of all ages
- Working with other staff in the program including group leaders, inclusion staff, co-counselors, and supervisors
- Will demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of students served.
- Will display and reinforce sportsmanship, fair play and a positive attitude.
- Obtain and distribute snack at appropriate time, and clean area when finished.
- Provide written evaluations/forms to the Director of Inclusion about your student(s)' experience in the after school program
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Taking part in the daily clean-up of the room, which includes but is not limited to, putting all toys and equipment away, making sure all food items are wrapped and put away and wiping down the tables and chairs refrigerator and freezer will be checked periodically to remove old or unwanted items.
- Changing student's clothes (soiled clothes, bathing suit) as needed.
- Must accompany student into the pool during swim activities
- Be prepared to physically assist student(s) in and out of the pool
- Must be able to get on the floor to participate and supervise activities
- Must be able to go outside, travel long distances and lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge or experience with children with special needs is preferred
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively with children, parents and peers
- Good reading and writing skills
- Able to support the Group Leader and other counselors in the group
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred
Education and Experience:
- Experience working with children with disabilities
- College credits/degree preferred but not required
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Bender Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Bender Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, including its Personnel Handbook, and to abide by them
- Work in a team environment.
- Communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.