Location and Job Title:
Director, Music Programs and School of Music
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
Responsible for planning, programming, supervision and implementation of all facets of concert performance including Artists of Excellence and the School of Music.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Programs the Polinger Artists of Excellence (AOE) concert season independently and in conjunction with committee of lay leaders in order to present the best artists actively performing.
- Develops and executes new concert programming ideas to meet the needs of the community and enhances the Bender JCCs cultural arts offerings (such as Mount Vernon Vertuosi)
- Negotiates contracts with artists and artists management agencies.
- Oversees all aspects of concert production including, but not limited to: artist hospitality as needed; concert program creation and printing; volunteer ushers for all concerts; box office staff; and serving as house and stage manager during concerts.
- Builds and maintains relationships with programming/marketing partners -such as Strathmore, local media (music critics), other presenting organizations and other JCCs as well as collaborating with Bender JCC marketing department.
- Builds and maintains robust relationship with donors and concert patrons.
- Develops and manages the AOE and Concerts budget in conjunction with supervisor and accounting staff.
- Manages all administration related to concerts including grant reporting.
- Coordinates ticket sales effort.
- Oversees mailing of brochures and tickets as well as other correspondence with patrons.
- Offers ideas for new funding sources
- Maintains records and prepare information for grant proposals and reports.
SCHOOL OF MUSIC (SOM):
- Hires and supervises the SOM faculty of independent contractors.
- Schedules student lessons in consultation with parents and teachers.
- Prepares contracts, submits monthly time sheets, schedules rooms, submits set-up sheets and provides attendance rosters.
- Monitors payment of lesson packages.
- Reviews and awards scholarships.
- Prepares marketing materials - copy for print and digital (website, flyers).
- Seeks out and responds to new needs of the community and membership.
- Develops and manages the SOM budget in conjunction with supervisor and Accounting staff.
- Schedules student recitals.
Other Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Knowledge of classical/chamber music and music education
- Understanding of program planning and budgeting
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Bender JCC
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Bender JCC, including its Personnel Handbook, and ability to abide by them
- Participates in at least 1 JCC-wide event per year, such as Israel Fest, Good Deeds Day, etc.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing
Educational Degree(s), Professional Degree(s), or Certificate(s) Required:
- Bachelors degree required
- Masters in music, music education or related degree preferred
- Experience in arts administration, programming and/or education preferred
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to travel to offsite locations.
- Lifting, carrying and transporting program materials, up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to multi-task
- Availability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.