Location and Job Title:
Mandel JCC of Cleveland
26001 S Woodland Rd
Beachwood, OH 44122
The General Manager is responsible for carrying out the Mandel JCC and Active Wellness' commitment to service its members in the best fitness environment possible with the friendliest staff, most educated trainers, cleanest facility, most ethical business practices and state of the art equipment. This person is responsible for achieving club objectives by developing a quality environment, meeting or exceeding financial projections, overseeing ancillary sales and meeting or exceeding new membership and retention goals. The General Manager is responsible for hiring, training, and management of staff to ensure all operational processes are upheld based on Active and The J's standards and programs are delivered with an exceptional member experience. The General Manager also serves a member of The J's executive staff team and has full responsibility for oversight of all aspects of fitness-related, aquatics and membership operations.
- Develops and implements a plan for the Fitness/Membership Division of the Mandel JCC that promotes program and membership growth that is consistent with operational strategies.
- Evaluate new and existing programs on an on-going basis to make recommendations for improving program efficiencies based on the specific needs, interests, and demographics of the members and community.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing between departments to evaluate and refine programs and services that support community center growth and mission.
- Develop detailed plans to execute on strategic initiatives and objectives involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget.
- Implements an ongoing evaluation process that measures member satisfaction with fitness programming, the facility (equipment, locker rooms, etc.), and staff interaction.
- Instill a sense of common responsibility and teamwork across the division to maintain a positive member and staff experience.
- Oversee the site fitness center ensuring safe work practices, regular equipment maintenance and adherence to safe housekeeping expectations
- Exercise good judgment and ensure legendary customer service, spotless club environment and friendly, knowledgeable staff.
- Achieve financial objectives by preparing budgets, analyzing and reporting on variances, initiating corrective actions.
- Supervise staff and oversee training and development for front line staff and supervisors.
- Drive daily, weekly, and monthly sales goals, to achieve both membership and ancillary revenue targets.
- Exercise creative thinking in the development of membership and fitness sales and marketing plan.
- Ensure timely and accurate tracking and reporting of all key metrics required by Active Wellness and our Client Partner.
- Ensure effective human resource management within the Fitness/Membership Division through ongoing operational Human Resources compliance initiatives and directives as well as staff training and development and performance management programs that are fully implemented and supported for all staff.
- In collaboration with the Marketing department, create a marketing plan and related material that promotes program and membership growth.
- Elevate Agency awareness for members and non-members to drive participation in a variety of Mandel JCC programs.
- Evaluate and manage membership category structure and membership fees, services, and policies related to retention of current members and the acquisition of new members.
- Lead staff through integration and implementation of new programs and solutions ensuring positive measurable results.
- Demonstrated track record of holding teams accountable for achieving results.
- Follow through on personal and leadership team commitments to others.
- Ability to influence and facilitate teams, regardless of reporting structure, in achieving key metrics.
- Integrate standardized procedures and safety compliance within center and departments.
- Approve Payroll and Accounts Payable expenses.
- Be responsive to member feedback.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 7 years of management experience in fitness and community center operations.
- Experience in fitness and wellness environment, excellent communication skills, leadership and management skills, customer service oriented, results oriented, computer skills, ability to multi-task, experience in leading a team and commitment to fitness industry.
- Hire, discipline, manage, evaluate and terminate staff as needed.
- 4-year college degree or equivalent education and experience.
- CPR, First Aid Certified, AED
- Proof of citizenship or legal status
Mandel Jewish Community Center of Cleveland builds and strengthens Cleveland's entire community by providing exceptional programs and services that enhance Jewish continuity and identity in four key program areas:
1. Fitness, Wellness & Recreation
2. Preschool/Early Childhood Education
3. Camping - Day Camps & Camp Wise Overnight Camp
4. Cultural Arts
Mandel Jewish Community Center of Cleveland connects and strengthens our Jewish community and the greater Cleveland community by providing exceptional programs and services in the following program areas: Fitness, Wellness and Recreation, Preschool/Early Childhood Education, Day Camps and Camp Wise overnight Camps, and Cultural Arts. Membership in this non-profit social service agency is open to all. Mandel JCC receives funding from the Jewish Federation of Cleveland, grants, donations and other public funding sources and has been serving the greater Cleveland community for more than 70 years.