Location and Job Title:
Fit & Fun Specialist, CampJCC
Arthur M. Glick JCC of Indianapolis
6701 Hoover Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46260
Are you a PE Teacher in need of beautiful minds to (get into) shape this summer? Or maybe a personal trainer who loves to help children excel in sports and fitness? The JCC Indianapolis is seeking a Fit n' Fun Specialist to join our summer camp team to be responsible for creating engaging and educational experiences through fitness and physical activities.
Note that this position requires a commitment for the entire camp season of June 1 - July 24 (plus orientation May 17, 22 & 31).
- Provide instruction, develop, and deliver fitness/physical activities that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the campers' age and abilities;
- Plan all lessons at least one week in advance;
- Assist with opening and closing inventory of all related supplies;
- Attend all mandatory camp meetings and staff training events;
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities;
- Include Camp Counselors in activities so that they may assist with campers;
- Perform other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description. These may include assisting with drop-off/pick-up procedures, gathering snack supplies, etc.;
- Proactively identify and respond to camper behavior issues;
- Involve the Camp Director and/or Assistant Camp director in any issues/problems;
- Organize and run Yom Sport! Days;
- Model the behavior you expect of campers, counselors and leadership team;
- Exemplify the JCC Internal Service Standards of respect, gratitude, communication, the golden rule and ownership/accountability.
Position Competencies for Success
- The ability to work effectively with others in all levels of the organization in a professional manner;
- Positive attitude & reliable on-time attendance;
- Commitment to the growth and development of youth;
- Commitment to producing consistent, high-quality work;
- Excellent judgment, ability to identify problems and works quickly to find solutions;
- Patient, caring and creative;
- Flexible, adaptive and a team player;
- Excellent Interpersonal, organizational and planning skills;
- Desire to make a difference in the life of a child.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Formal training or certification in physical education, personal training, various fitness programs (CrossFit, Yoga, Zumba, Pilates, etc.);
- Previous experience working with children, examples include but are not limited to; athletic coaching, academic/athletic tutoring, camp counselor, youth volunteer, classroom assistant, teaching, etc.;
- Endurance to work outside and on your feet for 6-8 hours per day;
- Ability to respond to emergency situations;
- Formal training or certification in physical education, personal training, various fitness programs (CrossFit, Yoga, Zumba, Pilates, etc...);
- Strong organizational & time management skills;
- Upon hire, complete CPR & First Aid certification.
Physical Demands & Working Environment
- Tasks involve the ability to exert moderate physical effort which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 75 lbs), bending stooping, stretching, squatting and sitting;
- Must possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers;
- Must have visual and auditory ability to keep track of multiple campers and to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities;
- Effective and clear communication is essential between campers and staff;
- Noise level can be moderate to loud;
- Frequent exposure to outside elements, such as sun exposure, heat, humidity and rain;
- Must be able to perform essential program support for camp activities which may include: standing for long periods of time; walking outdoors extended distances; traverse some uneven and/or hilly terrain; swim and/or be exposed to chlorinated water & sun screen.
- Must have the ability to physically manage and support children when necessary for safety during camp activities (children weighing 50 - 150 lbs.).
over 100 years, members of the Indianapolis community have enjoyed a diverse
range of services for all ages and interests at the JCC Indianapolis. With
recreational, educational and social programs and facilities that include a
fitness center, water park, therapy pool, early childhood education center, art
gallery, indoor tennis center, basketball courts and more, you can't help
but find something to love at the JCC Indianapolis. For more information,