Location and Job Title:
HSE Instructor, Adult Workforce
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
Department Overview: Commonpoint Queens (Samuel Field YM&YWHA) Adult Workforce Department is comprised of employment and supportprograms serving individuals predominantly adults 18 and over and opportunity youth ages 16-24. The department provides access to occupational training, education, resources, and support programs for individuals who are motivated to enter the workforce.
Position Details: Commonpoint Queens is seeking to hire a HSE Instructor for the Adult Workforce Program. Under the supervision of the Director of Education, the HSE Instructor will provide contextualized instruction in literacy and math to an adult population.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The HSE Instructor will:
- Develop lesson plans and adjust instruction according to the various learning styles of program participants. Maintain a collaborative learning environment.
- Create engaging lessons in ABE and HSE that develop student critical thinking and problem solving skills using a variety of methodologies.
- Continually assess student progress toward mastery of standards and keep students and staff well informed of student progress by collecting and tracking data, providing daily feedback and weekly assessments.
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for growth and success of allstudents.
- Attend instructional workshops and learning communities that will discuss all subtests and curriculum development for the TASC exam and ABE instruction.
- Administer and utilize standardized assessments to develop curricula targeting the educational challenges of the students.
- Monitor students' performance and attendance for required reporting systems.
- Lead engagement and follow-up efforts to ensure participants progress towards positive outcomes.
- Implement strategies to maximize student learning and retention.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor's Degree in Education required. Master's Degree in Education preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience teaching young adult learners of varied ages, levels, and diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Knowledge of ABE, HSE curriculum, testing procedures and requirements.
Hours: 3 days/6-10 Hours per week, evening hours
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.