Location and Job Title:
Camp Hoover Director (Summer Position)
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
1125 College Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
The JCC's Camp Hoover is a unique outdoor setting for campers grades 4 through 8. Complete with a waterfront, swimming pool, high ropes course, zip line, covered pavilion, sport court, community garden, outdoor sanctuary, and biking and hiking trails, Camp Hoover combines all of the ingredients of overnight camping into a day camp experience. The Camp Hoover Director is a leader who will engage campers with nature, challenges, adventure, and Jewish spirit; creating a camp community filled with ruach and connection. This team member has experience attending and directing camp programs, innovative ideas on recruitment, understanding of staff supervision and managing a team of counselors who want to make each day awesome, and commitment to the power of Jewish camping as an engagement tool to long-term community involvement.
Position Summary: To plan, direct, and supervise Camp Hoover program and staff
- Knowledge and Education - Minimum Required or Preferred:Bachelors in camp administration, recreation, education or related degree; Background in Jewish camping or Jewish education
- Experience - Minimum Required or Preferred: At least one season of camp administrative experience (i.e. unit head or camp director)
- Special Skills: Current CPR and first aid certifications; valid driver's license with full time access to fully insured vehicle; ability to communicate and work with parents to relay necessary information and develop a positive rapport; ability to communicate and work with staff and provide them with appropriate training, guidance and supervision; ability to communicate and work with campers and provide them with the appropriate activities; ability to identify and respond to inappropriate camp experiences, activities and situations; ability to plan and conduct activities; visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity; physical strength and ability to be actively involved in activities of instruction an emergencies; strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand the mission and goals of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus and Camping Services.
- Participate as an active and positive member of the JCC staff team.
- Model and implement the Jewish values of the Camp mission.
- Create and maintain a strong, positive Camp presence in the communities for the purpose of attracting new families, retaining returning families, and meeting annual registration goals.
- Participate in the day-to-day management and operation of summer program.
- Develop a camp program that challenges and excites campers while teaching them new skills through well-planned and creative programming.
- Oversee the development of, manage, and maintain all summer program schedules to ensure the smooth operation of the day-to-day program.
- As part of the summer senior management team, oversee the well-being and care of all campers and staff.
- Read camper and staff files prior to the beginning of camp.
- Coordinate with the Director of CYTC and marketing functions for all camper recruitment, including camp fairs, community events, synagogue and school presentations, and home visits.
- Plan and implement camp engagement events which include reunions.
- Coordinate the process of interviewing and hiring new and returning summer staff applicants. Assist in hiring and termination decisions for all summer staff member.
- Develop staff training that promotes the growth of each individual staff member during camp season and orientation.
- Maintain professional, supportive relationships with staff members throughout the summer, responding to each staff person's individual needs when possible.
- Create and implement new ways to engage current campers year-round.
- Maintain an engaging and interactive online presence for current campers, including the camp website.
- Conduct performance reviews and evaluation of summer senior management staff members.
- Ensure program staff has appropriate guidance, training, and skills to create and implement simulating programs.
- Collaborate with Director of Camping on ongoing maintenance and capital needs
- Closely with and communicate important information prior to and during rental dates to the Camp Director, Facilities Manager, to ensure requirements of rental groups are met.
- Interact in a positive and professional manner with all rental groups and potential rental clients.
- Support management of the day camp budget.
- Attend professional development conferences and programs.
- Conduct annual review and update of ACA materials.
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus is a human service agency offering a varied program that is Jewish in nature. It is committed to enhancing the quality of individual and family life through the promotion of physical, intellectual and spiritual wellness. It provides educational and cultural programs that reflect the Jewish heritage, health related activities and many services to the community at large. Through its wide array of programs, the JCC pursues its mission of strengthening the individual, family and community.
The JCC nurtures a passion for Jewish learning and living. Through programs and services, the JCC provides comfortable and inviting environments in which the community can thrive.