Location and Job Title:
Lead Toddler Teacher
Louis S. Wolk Jewish Community Center of Greater Rochester
1200 Edgewood Ave
Rochester, NY 14618
We are currently seeking (1) Lead Toddler Teacher, Early Childhood Setting, reporting to the Director of the Wolk Children's Center.
General Job Summary:
- Maintain a nurturing classroom environment that meets the emotional, social, physical and cognitive needs of each child.
- Provide curriculum support to encourage curiosity, exploration, and problem-solving appropriate to the development levels of the children in your care.
- Modeling developmentally appropriate activities through daily contact with children and other Early Childhood staff in the classroom.
- Maintaining open, friendly, and cooperative relationship with each child's family and encourages their involvement in the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and procedure manuals and write routine reports and correspondence.
- Communicate with and provide individual and group instruction to children.
- Ability to observe and assess child behavior and model positive behavior management techniques and safety regulations.
- Provide activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, and problem-solving appropriate to the development levels of the children
- Engage in developmentally appropriate interactions with children in the classroom
- Complete 15 hours of training on mandated topics each year
Work Schedule: 35-40 hours per week, 5 days per week; at least 2 opening shifts and at least 2 closing shifts
- Abide by all policies, standards, and objectives of the JCC, including, but not limited to our policies of no smoking, no alcohol, and no drugs during work hours, breaks or on premises.
- Attend weekly meetings to reflect and plan with the other teachers in the classroom.
- Maintain confidentiality for children, families and staff at the JCC
- Report any suspected child abuse to the Head Teacher or Director
- Welcome parents and children as they arrive and/or depart the center
- Maintain the classroom and materials to support the program's goals and philosophy
- Maintain a safe and healthy classroom; inspect and replace damaged or lost materials
- Assist in keeping all appropriate records including attendance and anecdotal records on children
- Meet all applicable licensing regulations
- Maintain a professional relationship with other staff and coworkers. Work cooperatively with teammates to coordinate all the joint administrative, housekeeping, curriculum planning and teaching functions to ensure a well ordered classroom.
- Assist in completing bi-annual assessment of children's development and report progress of children to parents through parent-teacher conferences as needed
- May be asked to assist with transporting children to the Center in the morning from their vehicles and taking out to their vehicles in the evening.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in Early Childhood, Child Development or related field and no additional experience necessary.
- Child Development Associate credential or other Office recognized credential specific to the preschool developmental period and one year experience related to caring for children
- 9 College credits in Early Childhood, Child Development or a related field with a plan of study leading to a:
- Child Development Associate credential, or Associates degree in Early Childhood, Child Development, or a related field and two years' experience related to caring for children.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications.
- MAT certification is recommended.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and the ability to utilize the parent communication website, and a payroll system.
- Must meet with Supervisor twice annually for job performance evaluation
- Ability to assist children in an emergency situation.
- Possess the strength, endurance and vigilance required to maintain constant supervision of children.
- Ability to swim in the pool and run on the playground
- Ability to care for children ages 8 weeks to 5 years
- Ambulatory ability to manage uneven ground, hills, and steps.
- Ability to lift a child weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to kneel, bend, squat, stand, and sit on the floor or on child-size furniture for prolonged periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform within the described work environment.
- Preschool Classroom environment with child sized furniture
- Outside environments (playground, filed trip locations)
- Gymnasium and Pool where applicable
Pay: $15.75 per hour + depending on experience and credentials.
25,000 - 35,000
The Louis S. Wolk Jewish Community Center of Greater Rochester is a home for people of all backgrounds to grow and learn, and to care about and deepen their connections to one another. We offer a wide array of cultural, social, educational and recreational programs for families, children and adults of all ages and interests.