Location and Job Title:
Social Worker, Older Adult Center at Bay Terrace
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
The Older Adult Center at Bay Terrace, serving adults aged 60+, is a program of Commonpoint Queens, a multipurpose social service agency. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, cultural and recreational services and programs that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Functions as part of a team providing programs and services for adults aged 60+
- Meets with potential new members to explain services available at the Older Adult Center and other Commonpoint Queens' Older Adult Services programs, and recommends best programming to meet their interests and needs
- Registers new clients, completes initial and follow-up assessments, and documents accordingly in the Department for the Aging (DFTA) database (STARS Peer Place)
- Maintains updated member files in the database as well as paper charts, in accordance with DFTA standards and requirements
- Develops and maintains a resource file of current benefits, entitlements, services and programs relevant to the older adult population; assists with completion of applications and forms, and makes referrals as needed
- Creates and facilitates recreational, educational, cultural and/or support groups
- Conducts and documents outcomes of friendly visiting (home visits), telephone reassurance calls, in-person and telephonic information and referrals, and other case assistance activities
- Assists with the lunch program
- Participates in program development, planning of special events, and contributes content for the Older Adult Services' departmental newsletter
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Master's Degree in Social Work and experience working with a geriatric population required.
- Knowledgeable about benefits and entitlements relative to older adults
- Bilingual English/Mandarin preferred
- Experience utilizing Google Docs/Sheets and Microsoft Office applications
- Experience utilizing Zoom technology for virtual programming
- Food Handlers Certification preferred, but may also be obtained within the first 3 months of employment
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus is required
- Ability to travel to multiple service sites within the agency, and to make home visits
- Ability to stand for one hour during meal service
- Schedule: Full-time, Monday through Friday, 40 hours; some evening hours required; special events may require weekend hours
- A car and valid driver's license is required
- This is a Union position
- Location: Commonpoint Queens' Bay Terrace Center, Bayside, NY 11360
Send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Commonpoint Queens is an equal opportunity employer
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 50 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.