Location and Job Title:
J Camp Director
Oshman Family JCC
3921 Fabian Way
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Overview of the Role:
Are you an innovative leader who would like to contribute to making summer camps memorable for the next generation? If so, then this might be the place for you! As the Camp Director you will be responsible for the daily operations of the summer camp. You will be required to implement and promote camp programs, Jewish culture and engaging activities for children while supervising, mentoring, guiding and inspiring permanent and rotating camp staff.
What you'll do: Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design, deliver and evaluate camp programs that meet the needs and interests of the camps target populations and ensure their delivery in a safe, fun and quality manner. Develop programs focused on social, emotional and physical growth for children and youth.
- Develop vision and strategies for summer and year-round camp offerings by assessing competition, determining strategic opportunities and mirroring them with the mission of the OFJCC. Adjust program offerings and marketing strategies to drive increased attendance and enrollment.
- Manage and lead staff to ensure overall success of camp programs by communicating agency vision and strategy, job expectations, coaching and fostering continued professional development. Serve as a role model for staff and campers.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff, including international staff and independent contractors.
- Ensure compliance to American Camping Association accreditation standards and keep current to regulations in order to maintain accreditation status.
- Oversee integration of children with disabilities and special needs into camp programs.
- Review and update the curriculum and program design as necessary. Design fun programs to include enriching activities, field trips, overnights and other activities. Ensure that there is appropriate and meaningful Jewish content.
- Reflect the camp's Jewish culture through the development of various activities and programs.
- Design and implement administrative systems for camp programs, including registration, communications and enrollment process, database management and reporting.
- Create and actively promote a comfortable and welcoming environment where every participant is treated with dignity and respect, in a friendly, personalized manner.
- Correspond and interact with camper's parents and prospective camper's parents in a timely and professional manner.
- Review and update handbooks, applications, contracts and other related paperwork as needed.
- Develop budgets for all program areas and manage continual budget responsibility.
- Partner with the OFJCC Marketing Department to coordinate the development of a marketing plan for all camps. Provide year-round communication with campers and camp families to promote camper retention and recruitment.
- Partner with other OFJCC departments for purposes of camp promotion and other types of collaborations.
- Oversee daily operations of camp to include purchasing and maintenance of food, art and other supplies.
- Work cooperatively with the Center's development staff and leadership to identify and secure funding for programs.
- Retain oversight of OFJCC Extended Care Program, including programmatic, budgetary and administrative components.
Perks & Benefits:
- Medical, dental and vision
- Up to 20 paid holidays plus PTO
- Additional offerings include free membership to our state-of-the-art fitness center for you and your family, 403(b) retirement plan, life insurance, employee assistance program, flexible spending accounts, discounts galore and much more!
If interested and qualified, send cover letter and resume. For more information, give us a call at (650) 223-8644.
About you: Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent in Education, Recreation or related area preferred
- 2+ years management experience.
- 2-5 years of experience managing youth or family programs, preferably in a camp setting.
- 2+ years of experience creating and managing program budgets.
- Knowledge of Jewish culture, values, traditions and community and previous experience in Jewish programming preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills. Ability to communicate information clearly (written and oral).
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented; ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Ability and desire to work independently and as a team member with the community and other employees.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office especially Excel and Word.
- Positive, upbeat and enthusiastic about working in a non-profit environment.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with a diverse group that includes OFJCC staff, parents, children and the public.
About the OFJCC:
The Oshman Family Jewish Community Center (OFJCC) on the Taube Koret Campus for Jewish Life is one of the most exciting and innovative non-profit organizations in Silicon Valley. Collaborating with tech companies, national organizations and local non-profits, the OFJCC is reinventing what it means to enrich lives, build community and inspire Jewish journeys. Our vision is to be the architects of the Jewish future, and we are executing our mission by creating meaningful, inclusive and joyful experiences for everyone in the South Peninsula (and beyond) through educational, social, cultural, spiritual, fitness, and other wellness programs. Our diverse and passionate staff works hand-in-hand with hundreds of committed volunteers to make our modern 8.5-acre campus a truly special place for the 15,000+ visitors every week. For more information, visit www.paloaltojcc.org or call 650.223.8600.