Location and Job Title:
Counselor, Adult Literacy Department
Edith & Carl Marks JCH of Bensonhurst
7802 Bay Pkwy
Brooklyn, NY 11214
Job Summary: The counselor will be responsible for supporting adult learners ability to identify and overcome barriers that prevent them from attending class regularly and cause them to drop out prematurely as well as for helping them navigate, engage and access resources and services they need in order to achieve their academic, career, personal and social goals.
- Provide counselling sessions to adult literacy students, addressing participants needs, documenting each interaction with a participant in a Participant Tracking System and completing case notes. Follow up by interactions with students on a daily basis.
- Work with students to develop an individual education plan that clearly lists the long- term and short- term educational goals with specific action steps required to meet each goal.
- Be able to demonstrate positive impacts of counselling on attendance, retention, academic achievement, and emotional and personal development.
- Help participants to develop skills to improve study habits, social skills and time management
- Develop referral network and make appropriate referrals within the Marks JCH and our partner agencies in order to address their challenges and achieve their academic, career, personal and social goals.
- Be available to work morning and evening hours.
- Attend Professional Development trainings.
- Meet with Program Director regularly to review participant progress, exchange information and share strategies.
This position is open for part-time to full-time availability. Salary commensurate with degree and experience.
Please submit your resume to the Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minimum Associates Degree in a Human Services field (or currently enrolled in college) plus 2 years of relevant experience or 3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with counselling principles, techniques, and practices applied to students problems and developmental needs
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, communication and time management skills.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new software applications. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Google Docs.
- Knowledge of programs and services offered within the Marks JCH and community resources.
- Bi-lingual English-Russian preferred.
$45,000 - $55,000
Who we are: The Marks JCH of Bensonhurst, known as the JCH, is a center of community life in Brooklyn, rooted in Jewish values and fostering an inclusive environment. We help at every life stage, providing critical services that lift people out of poverty, as well as innovative programing that educates and inspires our community members. The Marks JCH is a full-scale human service agency, providing social services, adult literacy classes, computer literacy classes, job placement in addition to offering childrens, youth, family, and cultural programs. Marks JCH prides itself on its 360-degree holistic service model, meeting the needs of low- and moderate-income New Yorkers, specializing in helping refugees and immigrants.