Location and Job Title:
197 E Broadway
New York, NY 10002
Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, the Communications Director is responsible for the development of Educational Alliance's communication strategy and contributes to EA's organizational strategic planning process.
The Communications Director directly manages communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand reputation. The Communications Director is responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with the media. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The Communications Director also directly manages EA's internal Communications operations and strategy. This person will be responsible for ensuring the proper systems are in place to facilitate clear, consistent, and efficient communications among EA's leadership and staff, promote dialogue across departments and centers, and support the work of agency-wide committees. The goal is to foster a culture of transparency and collaboration. The Communications Director will oversee a team of Communications staff responsible for EA's varied and integrated communications products and services including newsletters and other print publications; web, social media, and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing.
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic Communications plan to advance EA's brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create a marketing/public relations strategy that allows EA leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, donors, policymakers, and key influencers.
- Assist the Chief Strategy Officer in identifying challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Work with executive leadership to develop department- and center-specific annual strategic marketing and communications plans.
- Serve as communications counselor to EA leadership.
- Oversee development of EA print and digital Communications, including the annual report, marketing collateral materials, electronic Communications, websites, and social media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Develop and execute an internal communications strategy that promotes a culture of transparency and collaboration.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding EA programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the Communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to increase awareness, engagement, and support for Educational Alliance's programs and services.
- Oversee the creation and management of marketing campaigns across a variety of channels, including digital, social media, email, events, and print.
- Work closely with program leaders to understand their objectives and develop marketing plans that support their goals.
- Collaborate with fundraising team to create marketing materials that drive donations and sponsorships.
- Conduct market research and stay up to date on trends in the non-profit sector to inform marketing strategies.
- Build and manage a high-performing marketing team across each department.
- Work closely with senior leadership to align marketing strategies with the organization's overall goals and objectives.
- Recruit and manage a Communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, marketing, or related field.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience required in Communications or marketing fields.
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading a Communications team.
- Proficiency with the following programs:
- Microsoft 365
- Adobe Suites
- Experience working with a non-profit organization preferred, but not required.
$165,000 - $180,000
Educational Alliance brings together and partners with diverse communities in Lower Manhattan, offering individuals and families high-quality, multi-generational programs and services that enhance their well- being and socioeconomic opportunities. We are a place where everyone is welcome and where progress is powered one relationship at a time. We are proud of our legacy as a Jewish organization, and we provide high-quality, transformational services and programs to all New Yorkers through our network of community centers on Manhattan's Lower East Side and East Village. As we have for 130 years, we offer best-in-class programming-now across 15 sites--focusing on a mix of education, health and wellness, arts and culture, and civic engagement.
Guided by Jewish values, Educational Alliance celebrates the differences and individuality every person brings when they walk through our doors because we know that there is more that connects us than keeps us divided. Today, our reach extends beyond the city as our innovative programs serve as models for other organizations to adopt and implement in their communities. We invite you to join us as we partner with our neighbors, strengthen our city, and pave the way for more generations of New Yorkers to live enriched and fulfilling lives - because you belong here.
- Generous PTO Policy
- Competitive Salary
- Medical & Dental Insurance
- Pension Plan
- 403b Retirement Plans
- Discount Perks for Movies, Broadway Shows, Amusement Parks, etc.
- Free Gym Membership to our Manny Cantor Center Gym & 14TH Street Y Gym
- Discounts to programs at Educational Alliance