Location and Job Title:
Group Fitness Instructor
14855 Oka Road
Los Gatos, CA 95032
Under the direct supervision of the Group Fitness Director and as a member of the Health, Sports, Fitness and Aquatics Team, the Group Exercise Instructorat the Addison-Penzak Jewish Community Center (part of Jewish Silicon Valley) is responsible for successfully instructing group fitness classes and implementing member engagement initiatives that align with the core values of the organization.This position serves as a vital role in engaging and retaining members as well as facilitating a safe and effective workout.The instructor is responsible for creating a welcoming environment that inspires members to achieve their fitness goals.
Areas of Responsibility
- Strong commitment to creating a warm and welcoming environment to all members and guests
- Ability to foster strong relationships amongst both members and staff in a professional manner
- Act as a catalyst for members to be engaged at the APJCC in areas outside of exercise/fitness
- Experience working with a diverse range of people at various levels of exercise/fitness
- Ability to present oneself in large group setting in a professional manner that inspires members
- Understanding of the fundamental skills of physiology and training with ability to implement a lesson program for beginner to advanced participants
- Knowledge of current industry standards and trends in group exercise/fitness class programming
- Strong personal skills in organization and project management
- Ability to manage time and appropriately for the duration of the scheduled class
- Deliver a high caliber exercise/fitness class based on fundamental principles of group exercise/fitness class design
- Ability to manage a large group of individuals with varied fitness skill levels
- Taking ownership of each class:
- Start and end class at the scheduled, posted times
- Ensure that the studio rooms is kept tidy for the next class
- Secure subs when needed and notify supervisor in advance
- Ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with other team members
- Be a champion for member engagement thru relationship building with both staff and members
- Ability to understand members' basic exercise/ fitness needs in a group setting
- Knowledge of fitness certification standards and best practices
- Assist the Group Fitness Director in the overall operation of the Group Fitness Program by aligning with strategic goals of the department
- Functional understanding of resistance training equipment and proper use and form
- Ability to assist participants with achieving their fitness goals while maintaining scope of practice
- Understanding of the programs and services offered at the APJCC outside of the group fitness program
- Ability to respond appropriately in an emergency situation
- Ability to recognize and demonstrate safe use of exercise/fitness equipment
- Enforce compliance with all safety regulations among staff and patrons, working to eliminate potential hazards.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Assist in lifeguard and swim instructor monthly in-service trainings as well as monthly safety drills.
Qualifications and competencies:
- CPR/AED certified
- Minimum of 1 Nationally accredited Group Fitness Instructor Certification
- This position is contingent upon completion and clearance of a background fingerprint assessment
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in this or a related field
Working Conditions/Physical requirements:
The working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to:
- Work in a Fitness Center/Community Center and typical business office environment
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures
- Ability to lift a minimum of 45 pounds
This position is contingent upon the completion and cleared background check of a fingerprint and life scan assessment.
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and, when possible, to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between JSV and its employees.
Amenities include fitness center, heated pool, children's pool, lighted tennis courts, full gymnasium, event auditorium and meeting rooms, athletic field, physical therapy clinic, free parking, childcare, acclaimed preschool for ages 18 months-5 years, day camp, recreation program for children with special needs, birthday parties, teen lounge, Center for Jewish Life & Learning, holiday celebrations, Judaica and Hebrew classes, enrichment classes on a variety of topics for all ages, dance and sports programs for children and adults. Event rentals available.