Location and Job Title:
Director, Sports, Enrichment and Wellness
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
The Director of Sports, Enrichment, and Wellness is a new position that reflects the growth and expansion of the Y's programs. The successful candidate will be tasked with leading existing programs, creating new ones, and ensuring alignment between programs and between the Y's universal Jewish values. This position will prioritize building community by creating strong relationships with our members, creating a holistic approach to physical and mental wellness across all programs, expanding our existing fee-for-service enrichment offering for youth, and expanding the Y's Sports and Wellness activities beyond the Y building, including the parks in our area.
The main programs and responsibilities under the Director of Sports, Wellness and Enrichment include:
- Working with our Program Directors to create and bring to life a vision for an intentional integration of sports and wellness in our existing youth programs. This involves both planning with the program directors, overseeing the safety and quality of our programs, and providing direct instruction of sports and wellness activities throughout our youth programs.
- Expanding the Y's Enrichment area, which currently consists of thematic birthday parties and recreational activities (dance, soccer, gymnastics, arts, and cultural programs, etc.) for 2 - 10 year-olds on Sundays. This will be a key area for strengthening and development.
- Serving as the Head of our Sports specialty area at our summer Day Camp (Camp Twelve Trails) located in Rockland County. This involves planning innovative, engaging and safe sport and recreational activities for campers 5-16 year olds; hiring, training, overseeing and evaluating sport specialists; and being a key member of the camp leadership team throughout the entire program.
- Running our Spring Hudson Cliffs Baseball League (the Y's a co-ed spring league for children of all ability levels aged three to twelve) and possibly expanding it beyond the spring.
- Establishing a culture of health and self-care in the organization and our community by providing training and educational experiences to staff and community members.
- Creating new community opportunities for Sports and Wellness engagement for people of all ages, including competitive leagues, bike-rides, water sports, hikes, runs, education around nutrition and self-care, etc. Examples of partners we currently work with include New York Road Runners and the Armory.
- Exposing the Y's Sports and Wellness programs to the wider community by maximizing the beautiful parks and outdoor spaces in our neighborhood.
- Serve as an integral part of the Youth and Recreation Leadership Team, supporting the Managing Director and all other members on issues related to programs, community-engagement, training, and new activities/programs.
- Tracking participant engagement and identifying trends within and across programs.
- Representing the Y in external forums; participating in and promoting Y programs as needed.
- Raise the Y's profile in the area of wellness, enrichment and sports by serving as an engager and connector to existing and new members.
- Expand and diversify enrichment, wellness and sports offering to both engage more community members and increase agency revenue in these areas.
- Modeling the Y values and culture.
Program Planning, Implementation, Evaluation, and Continuous Development
- Assess the needs and desires of our community members, identify long-term and short-term program goals and outputs, execute well-planned programs and activities, and implement ongoing improvements in sport, wellness and enrichment programs/activities.
- Ensure appropriate supervision, evaluation, and plans for enhancement are in place and followed up with each program.
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with new and existing organizations.
- Ensuring alignment of program goals with Y values and communication of key messages.
- Develop evaluation processes to ensure programs remain relevant, innovative, integrated, and evolving from year to year.
Compliance and Administration
- Ensure compliance of all programs with government standards and the Y's HR and programmatic requirements.
- Ensure compliance with all funders, including government and private foundations.
- Work with HR and Finance staff to ensure timely and accurate completion of all reporting and paperwork requirements, including payroll materials, departmental goals and work plans, budget preparation, tracking, and monitoring reports, employment paperwork, and other administrative /compliance requirements.
- Responsible for the professional development of direct reports providing coaching, mentoring, and performance feedback to set Program Directors for success.
- Work with Human Resources to attract, recruit, develop, and retain high quality staff.
- Directly supervises part time staff, subcontractors, and volunteers.
POSITION TYPE / EXPECTED CORE HOURS OF WORK
- Full- time position
- Estimated hours: Monday - Thursday: 10:00 am - 6:30 pm; Sundays 9:00 am - 5:30 pm, with room for flexibility.
- Summer Camp Hours: Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm.
- $58,000 to $62,000 per year
Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and competitive benefits package:
- Health Insurance; Retirement Plan; Optional 403b Plan; Life Insurance; Flexible Spending Account; Commuter Benefit Plan
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's required in one of the following fields: Child Development, Physical Education, Recreation, or a related field.
- At least six (6) years of work with youth in the Sports and Wellness field, including two (2) years as a supervisor.
- Demonstrated experience running large sports and recreational programs
- Bilingual in Spanish and English, helpful.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification, and Health & Safety certification, helpful.
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCE
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the background checks by the Y, Department of Health (DOH), and Department of Education (DOE).
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of hire.
55,000 - 65,000
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.