Location and Job Title:
Fitness Program Manager
6651 SW Capitol Hwy
Portland, OR 97219
The MJCC is open to everyone!
JOB SUMMARY: The Mittleman Jewish Community Center (MJCC) seeks a dynamic Fitness Program Manager who thrives on offering outstanding programs and services to our members and their guests. The Fitness Program Manager is responsible for carrying out the MJCC's commitment to provide services in the best fitness environment possible with the friendliest staff, most educated members, cleanest facility, most ethical business practices and state of the art equipment. This position will oversee the daily fitness operation and provide on-site leadership for fitness staff. The Fitness Program Manager actively promotes membership and the purchase of fitness training through a variety of means, including assisting members with introductory fitness training sessions. The Fitness Program Manager drives revenue by promoting our personal training programs and staff. This position is also responsible for all matters pertaining to equipment and safety on the fitness floor.
- Manage day-to-day operations and staffing of fitness floor, group exercise, and personal training.
- Maintain optimal staff coverage within budget.
- Provide effective supervisory-level response to member complaints and issues.
- Ensure equipment is maintained to safety standards. Oversee equipment repairs and maintenance.
- Continually identify gaps in service and/or newly emerging needs.
- Deliver staff onboarding, training, staff meetings, and performance evaluations
- Actively promote MJCC fitness services to members and the general community.
- Create and manage group exercise and water exercise classes. Directly oversees all group exercise and water exercise instructors. Ability to teach group exercise a plus.
- Supervise Head Trainer, fitness center operations monthly schedules fit staff, attendants, and group exercise. Provide direction in the performance of day-to-day work. Assist the Director in ensuring that staff follow MJCC policies and departmental procedures.
- Collaborate with the Head Trainer and the Assistant Executive Director in developing and planning fitness programs and promote fitness services to members.
- Provide assistance and support in managing day-to-day department activities. This includes staff scheduling, providing back-up to instructors and trainers, and a variety of similar department support duties. Work a minimum of five (5) hours on the floor each week, sometimes as a Fitness Attendant.
- Provide administrative functions including, but not limited to: timecard record keeping for a staff of 40 plus, tracking and analyzing data using spreadsheets, preparing purchase orders and ordering equipment and supplies.
QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position is qualifying. This would typically include:
- Prior supervisory experience
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) certification or equivalent. ACSM certification preferred.
- Two years' experience in a fitness setting that included overseeing personal training, group exercise, and fitness assessments.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Certification in First Aid and CPR.
ABOUT US: Mittleman Jewish Community Center is a vital institution for Jewish culture and identification, proud to offer its programs and services to everyone. For more than 100 years, the MJCC has offered educational, social, cultural and recreational programs.
MJCC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER