Location and Job Title:
CampJCC Music Specialist
Arthur M. Glick JCC of Indianapolis
6701 Hoover Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46260
- Camp JCC Indianapolis is looking for an energetic, enthusiastic and dynamic music specialist who can sing camp songs from morning till night, play a guitar, and who either knows (or can learn) the top forty list of camp songs. If you aspire to share your musical talent in a Jewish camp setting this summer by teaching and leading song sessions and rhythm and movement activities with smaller groups of children during the week and leading in song the all-camp Friday Shabbat celebration, this job is a perfect fit. Note that this position requires a commitment for the entire camp season of June 6th - July 29th (plus orientation).
- Follow all mandated safety guidelines related to social distancing, hygiene and PPE;
- Know, understand and be able to implement ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program;
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers' safety, health & well being, and their whereabouts at all times;
- Use sound judgement in all situations;
- Help to maintain a safe environment at all times while allowing for a fun atmosphere;
- Model the behavior you expect of campers & counselors;
- Plan weekly activities and a wide array of songs for ages 5 -12 years old;
- Work with the Assistant Camp Director to determine the curriculum and equipment needs;
- Lead each lesson while coaching and being assisted by the camp counselors;
- Play a (portable) instrument and be willing to use it daily at camp;
- Lead morning all-camp gatherings in song;
- Play a key role in weekly Shabbat ceremony;
- Assist all groups in developing Lip Sync performances;
- Participate in staff meetings as requested;
- Assist with other camp activities as requested (car pool, snack, etc.);
- Be available to work hours between 8am and 5pm
- Take part in daily activities with camp groups as needed; swimming, extra counselor, aiding to leadership
- Exemplify JCC Internal Service Standards of respect, gratitude, communication, the golden rule and ownership/accountability.
Position Competencies for Success
- The ability to work effectively with others in all levels of the organization in a professional manner;
- Excellent Interpersonal, organizational and planning skills;
- Positive attitude & reliable attendance;
- Commitment to the growth and development of youth;
- Commitment to producing consistent, high-quality work;
- Excellent judgment, ability to identify problems and works quickly to find solutions;
- Patient, caring and creative;
- Flexible, adaptive and a team player;
- Desire to make a difference in the life of a child.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Previous experience working with children of all ages, examples include but are not limited to: teaching, classroom assistant, academic/musical tutoring, camp counselor, youth volunteer;
- Previous camp counselor/teaching experience (preferred);
- Certification in education and/or music education a plus;
- Upon hire, completion of First Aid and CPR (required);
- Knowledge of child-friendly songs, camp songs (knowledge of Jewish songs a plus);
- Ability to play the guitar
- Highly qualified applicants will have 1-2 years of experience as a music teacher, children's music performer or camp activity leader/specialist.
Physical Demands & Working Environment
- Tasks involve the ability to exert moderate physical effort which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 75 lbs), bending stooping, stretching, squatting and sitting;
- Must possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers;
- Must have visual and auditory ability to keep track of multiple campers and to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities;
- Effective and clear communication is essential between campers and staff;
- Noise level can be moderate to loud;
- Frequent exposure to outside elements, such as sun exposure, heat, humidity and rain;
- Must be able to perform essential program support for camp activities which may include: standing for long periods of time; walking outdoors extended distances; traverse some uneven and/or hilly terrain; swim and/or be exposed to chlorinated water & sun screen.
- Must have the ability to physically manage and support children when necessary for safety during camp activities (children weighing 50 - 150 lbs.).
Whether you come to the JCC to work out, swim, shoot hoops, hang out at the water park or bring your kids to a class, you can count on feeling better when you leave than you did when you came in. You?ll find that the JCC is so much more than fitness. Our members come from all walks of life and have interests ranging from childcare to water aerobics; from summer camp to adult continuing education; and from yoga to boot camp. We?re situated on 40 beautiful acres on Indy?s northwest side. We invite you to see for yourself why we say: Open to everyone. Something for everyone. Visit www.JCCindy.org, call 251-9467 or stop in for a tour.