Location and Job Title:
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, Maryland, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (Byachad) We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh vHaGuf) We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
The Bender JCCs Finance Department is in the process of rebuilding its team. This role is an opportunity to help manage the day-to-day financial accounting/operations, policies, and procedures of the organization. The Staff Accountant will manage all general ledger and subsidiary journals, including cash and credit card receipts, cash disbursements, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue releases and maintain schedules and reconciliations of prepaid expense.
The Staff Accountant works under the supervision of the Controller and will assist in the streamlining and improving accounts receivable and accounts payable processes by identifying areas of performance improvement.
- Responsible for the daily interface and posting of all incoming data from the Salesforce membership database into Abila MIP, ensuring accuracy and integrity of all data, including reconciling the two systems daily and at month-end.
- Receive and process cash and checks for deposit into the bank as appropriate.
- Reconcile and resolve any accounting discrepancies related to AR accounts and related revenue accounts.
- Maintain vendor records, ensure all vendor documents (e.g., W8/W9) are collected and saved, and respond to all vendor inquiries.
- Perform the processing and recording of accounts payable transactions and ensure that all invoices, check requests, and reimbursements requests are coded accurately and paid timely in accordance with the Bender JCCGW policies and procedures.
- Review all invoices and expense requests for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment.
- Process weekly check run via Avid Xchange.
- Upload credit card transactions and ensure proper coding and accuracy.
- Assist in the month-end close by reconciling the AR/AP sub-ledger, aging reports, and the general ledger.
- Prepare journal entries as needed.
- Assist and support the external audit as needed.
- Experienced with computerized financial systems. You have worked with a variety of accounting applications and have exposure to membership databases.
- Familiar with accounting fundamentals. You understand the procedure of data entry, recording, summarizing, analyzing, and reporting the operations of a business entity over an accounting period.
- Detail oriented. You pay close attention to all the small particulars when working on a task or project while looking for ways to increase efficiency.
- A self-starter. You are hands on, energetic and motivated to set and achieve goals.
- A collaborative team player. You have a positive attitude and ability to interact with all levels of the organization. You enjoy learning from and with talented colleagues and are excited to be part of the success of the finance department and the whole organization.
- You believe that diversity is a strength. You account for the value of diversity in every aspect of your work, and you understand the nuances of diversity that shape donor, member, and staff experiences.
You should have:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- 1-2 years relevant full-time experience in accounts receivable/payable processing required.
- Non-profit experience preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of generally acceptable accounting principles (GAAP) required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate Excel skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload to meet multiple deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Customer service orientation with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Jewish community a plus.
- Required COVID-19 vaccination.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position, with a salary between $50,000 and $55,000, commensurate with experience. The Bender JCC provides a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision benefits, and a flexible working environment. You'll also receive a full family membership to the Bender JCC, including complete access to the entire fitness facility and pools, plus staff discounts on programs and services.
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they feel that they meet 100% of the qualifications. If this role sounds interesting to you, we encourage you to apply! The Bender JCC is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
45,000 - 55,000
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.