Location and Job Title:
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The Camp Director has the overall responsibility for the development, planning, implementation, and evaluation of all vacation and summer camp programs. The Camp Director will play an integral role in creating a new vision for our camp programs, being an agent for change and positive growth. The Camp Director must be a self-starter, capable of working independently and also as part of a team of professionals. The Camp Director must be capable of "switching gears" - being approachable and fun when working with parents, while also being organized and professional when in the office.
Essential Job Functions:
- Creating a dynamic vision for a cohesive day camp program centered around the JCC facility, including traditional and specialty camp offerings.
- Grow total camper enrollment and departmental revenue through enhanced marketing, outreach, relationship-building, programming, and recruitment.
- Supervising camp leadership staff and administrative staff.
- Hire, recruit, interview and evaluate camp staff.
- Plan and execute staff orientation and ongoing training, scheduling staff and leading staff meetings
- Plan all programmatic aspects of camp, such as field trips, special days, activity areas and Shabbat.
- Being responsible for all aspects of camper safety.
- Act as the primary liaison with parents.
- Maintain rooms and spaces inside and outside the building utilized by camp and coordinating facility usage with building services staff.
- Ensuring that camp operations are in line with American Camp Association standards.
- Building relationships with parents, schools, and community leaders.
- Lead the JCC's year-round Vacation Camp program, which operates on days when area schools are closed. This includes staffing, scheduling of activities, registration, supplies and snacks and anything else pertinent to a successful program
- Planning and assisting with special camp events throughout the year, agency-wide events, and community-wide programs.
- Attending and participating in monthly staff meetings and weekly supervisory meetings.
- Working with the marketing department regarding publicity, public relations and marketing plans for camp programs.
- Model appropriate behavior to staff and campers.
- Provide behavior management techniques and intervention for campers where necessary
- Create a culture of trust and feedback.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a college graduate.
- Minimum of 5 years working in camp, or camp-like setting.
- Previous teaching and leadership experience preferred.
- Ability to teach skills to other staff members and campers of all ages.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Experience communicating and working with families with children of varying abilities.
- Ability to remain calm and maintain perspective under pressure.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing needs.
- Much be energetic, enthusiastic and demonstrate and desire to go the extra mile.
Status: Full-time, Mondays through Fridays (with additional weekend requirements for promotion/marketing as needed), including organizing and facilitating 40-45 hours of staff training in May & June.
Hiring Process: If you are an interested candidate, please describe in a cover letter, why you are uniquely qualified for this position and attach a resume. Please note the specific job title in your subject line of your email. Please note: Prior to confirming your employment, you will be required to pass a fingerprint Live Scan and provide recent proof of a negative TB test. Send cover letter and resume as attachments to: Brianna Sommer. PLEASE NO CALLS.
The Jewish Community Center of the East Bay has provided a Jewish gateway and home to a large community since 1978. People of all ages, faiths and backgrounds are invited to join us as we build community, meet new friends, and celebrate together. Our outstanding programming includes evening arts & culture events, as well as musical performances and holiday celebrations. The JCC is home to a year-round preschool, afterschool, summer and vacation camps, senior lunches, clubs and activities, and fitness classes.