Location and Job Title:
Senior Director of Philanthropy & Advancement
14855 Oka Road
Los Gatos, CA 95032
Position: Senior Director of Philanthropy & Advancement
Status: Exempt, Full-Time, At-Will
The Senior Director of Philanthropy & Advancement (SDPA) will oversee the Philanthropy Department which includes Marketing & Communications. The SDPA will be accountable for ensuring that annual fundraising goals are met through the strategic development, oversight and implementation of the fund development plan, as well as ensuring the cultivation and stewardship of donors and prospects to major fundraising campaigns and other fundraising initiatives as they arise. The SDPA will work closely with colleagues across JSV to ensure all stakeholders are engaged in mission-forward activities, events and communication which are entrenched in the vision and pillars of JSV. The SDPA will oversee all marketing and communications functions of JSV, ensuring all messaging is aligned with the mission and vision of JSV, and is consistent across all departments. The SDPA will work closely with a professional and volunteer team including the CEO, program staff, Fund Development Committee, Allocations Committee, Marketing Committee and the Board of Directors. The SDPA will be an active participant in the Senior Management Team ensuring the success of JSV. The SDPA will report to the CEO.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Oversee the Philanthropy department operations, systems and staff, ensuring that annual fundraising & advancement targets and initiatives are clearly communicated and met.
- Create, oversee and implement the strategic annual fund development plan and department budget. Develop and implement the strategy for annual and special campaigns to ensure fundraising goals and communal needs are met. Create and maintain the timeline of activities including annual campaign, corporate sponsorships, special events, grant and foundation funding, donor recognition and communications strategies to steward relationships with donors at every level of support. Ensure that accurate monthly reports on fund raising activities are provided to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Steward and engage major and mid-tier donors across all giving opportunities to connect donors with the mission of JSV and meet fundraising goals. Create customized, donor-centric solicitation strategies based on JSV and community objectives, matching these with the interests of each donor. Create and support the Ambassador program to support the stewardship of donors and secure gifts.
- Develop the Planned Giving Program in coordination with the Legacy Chairs through stewarding Legacy donors, DAF and Endowment holders and instituting the highest level of customer service for account management and communication.
- Oversee and monitor quality control and ensure that appropriate systems are in place to provide exceptional customer service to all donors and prospects, including oversight of the donor database, donor acknowledgements, and direct mail solicitations.
- Develop and serve as staff liaison to the Fund Development Committee; in coordination with the Board Fund Development Chair ensure volunteers are trained appropriately and kept informed of all fundraising initiatives results.
- Work with JSV Board of Directors to secure annual gifts and provide support for JSV Fund Development efforts; ensure BOD members understand their role and are effectively trained to be ambassadors for JSV.
- Develop and ensure successful implementation of highly targeted marketing strategies to reach key audiences and meet agency fundraising, membership and program participation goals.
- Regularly guide Marketing staff, senior managers and program directors through a process to identify objectives, understand target audiences, and set marketing goals.
- Work with Marketing staff to create annual marketing plans for the entire agency, including specific plans for fund development, fitness membership, summer camp and major events.
- Supervise Marketing staff and outside vendors to execute marketing strategies, to ensure consistent application of brand identity, and to provide written and visual marketing and fund development materials. Ensure that all mailings, electronic communications, websites, advertising, etc. are effectively delivering messages to intended audiences.
- Work in partnership with departments across JSV to create opportunities for all stakeholders to connect with each other and with the mission in impactful ways. This includes supporting communications and engagement opportunities with program participants, volunteers and lay leaders.
- Develop and oversee the agency's annual marketing budget.
- Manage Philanthropy & Marketing staff to ensure timelines and goals are met while maintaining a positive work environment.
- Actively participate in the Senior Management Team to support the overall success of JSV.
- Keep abreast of institutional and communal priorities and programs; ensure that Jewish Silicon Valley's case for support is current, relevant and effectively communicated with donors.
- Support and enhance the organization's presence with its many constituencies, promoting a collaborative, and donor focused approach to development.
- Work with JSV and community professionals to encourage leadership development and determine strategy to engage donors through affinity groups.
- Participate with professional peers and relevant lay leaders in the strategic development process to utilize their expertise and cultivate their support to develop a long-term strategic plan for growing the community's philanthropic support
Qualifications and competencies:
- BA Degree, at least 5 years prior experience as a development professional.
- Demonstrated success driving measurable results.
- Demonstrated success inspiring groups and individuals to support the organization's mission with respect to colleagues, team members, volunteer leadership and other potential stakeholders.
- Knowledgeable about and commitment to core Jewish values and the ability to demonstrate, communicate and represent those to others.
- Demonstrated success leading and managing other professionals, support staff and volunteers to achieve short- and long-term professional goals and competencies individually and as members of a team.
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing strategic activities and tasks with clear goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of the organized Jewish community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Jewish history, tradition, culture.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the relationship between the American Jewish community, Israel and the Diaspora.
- Demonstrated understanding of the complexity of the volunteer/professional relationship and success managing those relationships in a warm and professional manner.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and the ability to problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated success personally soliciting significant major gifts.
- Outstanding demonstrated success building, cultivating and stewarding new relationships leading to measurable results i.e. larger donor base, increase in campaign revenue, increase in volunteer participation and partnership.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present at public platforms.
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively and cooperatively with others, other departments within the organization and with other organizations and entities.
- Willingness and eagerness to explore new ideas.
- Process-driven with exceptional reporting and analytical skills are beneficial.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
The working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to:
- Community Center and office environment
- Ability to sit for long periods.
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as phones, computers and printers.
- Ability to lift/carry 25 lbs.
JSV is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and, when possible, to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between JSV and its employees.
120,000 - 135,000
Amenities include fitness center, heated pool, children's pool, lighted tennis courts, full gymnasium, event auditorium and meeting rooms, athletic field, physical therapy clinic, free parking, childcare, acclaimed preschool for ages 18 months-5 years, day camp, recreation program for children with special needs, birthday parties, teen lounge, Center for Jewish Life & Learning, holiday celebrations, Judaica and Hebrew classes, enrichment classes on a variety of topics for all ages, dance and sports programs for children and adults. Event rentals available.